3.2 Carrera gauge removal

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

3.2 Carrera gauge removal

Post by ianmorrow »

The bulb seems to have gone behind the oil pressure gauge . The electrician tried to remove the unit with a trimming tool from both sides but gave up fearing the glass might break. The rev counter was removed previously causing slight damage to the rim. Any advice please on how I can remove the gauge , how to upgrade the rather dim light in the remainder of the units,or is this part of the charm and is the damaged rim of the Rev counter something to live with or can it be fixed?
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 3.2 Carrera gauge removal

Post by rhd racer »

They are held in pretty tightly by a grooved rubber grommet. If one has been out before, it is more likely to come out again, so remove that and then apply pressure from behind to the one you do want to remove, wiggling the bezel with your other hand as you go.

If that fails, try the other ones to see if are loose enough to get out from the front alone by hand. You should have at least one that does, and then you work your way along from behind.

I did this recently on the 964 and they were as tight as a gnat’s, but I did manage to work one out to start the process.

Good luck
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

If it really doesn’t want to come out ........the clock is the easiest to remove from my SC. Grabbing the outside & twisting back & forth & it starts to move. As above, get your hand behind the next one and push it out as you twist. Slow, but then work across all the gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

Thanks guys no prising then. Thanks a job for today. It’s going to be the best polished 3.2 around by the time this is all over!
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I squirted some WD40 underneath the rubber, I found the rev counter came out easy so was able to twist and push from the back.
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

You will believe it . The lhs clock came out I got behind it and with great effort removed the stuck dial. I noticed that there was a bulb missing from the first dial removed there should be two . I put a bulb into the little holder turned it upside down and the bulb fell into the gauge. I can see it through hole . How am I going to get it out? Help again please
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Blob of grease on the end of a screwdriver ?
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I assume these are the tiny glass bulbs with the metal end with two locating seams in the pressing, the same as a VW Beetle? If so, have you got a screwdriver with a magnetised tip that you can fish it out with?
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

I actually got a chopstick dipped it in the kids school book adhesive and then caught a grip of myself. I can see it. I thought of leaving it but the rattle would drive me mad. Yes Wayne you are correct. I will disconnect wires tomorrow so that I can get at it better. There are several red ones so I will have to be careful. The back of the gauge has screws closing it that are painted so I guess that means DONT TOUCH.
As I was moving it about a piece of blue paper appeared inside. I don’t know what that is about A small shake and it disappeared again
The worst thing is that the gauge ie second in from left that started all this by not lighting is now that it is sitting out. !!!!
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Slightly related. I broke the glass in my combined fuel/oil level gauge today. Any ideas where I might get a replacement glass? Or would a glass shop or similar have and cut a new one. The glass seems very thin.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I would suggest just disconnecting the -ve terminal of the battery then you can touch anything you like with confidence. The instruments are fragile and you don’t want to short anything...

I wonder if the blue paper is the translucent sort, that might be the high beam filter for the dash High beam warning light? Not familiar with the gauges for the year but that might be plausible.

Good luck!
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

Sam

Post by Sam »

To properly get to the innards you have to take the bezel off. It’s easy, just prise the lip it from the rear very slowly and carefully working your way round, easing it a smidge at a time until it’s bent enough to come off the lip. Better to do three laps of teeny movements than rush it and deform the bezel or crack the paint.

I expect there will be a detailed guide on Pelican Parts.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
ianmorrow
DDK Fanatic

Post by ianmorrow »

The bulb is out no thanks to me but a woman’s touch. She jiggled it and out it came. All good!
On a point of interest my local shop didn’t have the small Lucas 12v 2w winged bulbs so I rang Design911 who dispatched 5 at a cost of 5£ each!!! My local auto electrician then ordered same from Euro Car Parts in Belfast at .67p each!!!!
Thanks to the advice on DDK ie push from back and pull technique I now have three dials from left to right inc rev counter out and Vaselined .
A different piece of paper not the blue bit then appeared inside the left hand dial covering the bottom of the oil temperature section. After jiggling it too disappeared down into middle bottom so all good sort off???