Tappets - or is it?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Tappets - or is it?

Post by sladey »

Got my car back recently (3.2 engine) - it's not been run since 5th September and I got it back just over a week ago.

The Garage checked all the levels and off I went. Ran OK for a few days but then started to notice what I thought was a tappet noise - like a drummer hitting the edge of a drum. Got the garage to listen and they thought it was tappets as well. I tried all the usual things - you know, turn the radio up, drive faster etc The noise seemed to be getting worse - it was consistently lound on Friday.

I downloaded the relevant article from Pelican and spent today adjusting all the tappets - the first time I'd done this. It all went OK.

I started it up and the engine seemed a lot quieter, - went out for a test drive and after a few hundred yards I started to hear the noise again. It's hard to tell whether it is there all the time or not - it rises and falls with the engine revs. Initially I was pi55ed off because I thought I'd wasted my day. As the drive went on though things improved and the sound became less noticeable. Sat at some lights it wasn't really intrusive, but pulling into the garage I could hear it again. It's really hard to tell whether the sound ish changing or my hearing is changing. It ceretainly doesn't suddenly get worse or better - it's more like I tune my ear in to it and then when I stop obsessing about it I tune my ear out of it.

I know it's a tappeting sounding engine generally, and I also know I'm not used to the sound. The engine is running really sweet - no power loss, no flat spots, oil pressure is fine.

So apart from the over obsessive need to share my phobias my questions are these:-
1. Is there something else it could be? (yes I know it's a daft question) I had the crank go on my last engine and that was also a repetitive sound but more akin to a machine gun and power was down after it happened
2. Is it likely that tappet clearances have got worse due to non-use for several months and then constant use?
3. Are tappets affected by the cold? the sound getting worse co-incided with the recent cold snap

I'll see how it goes as I carry on driving it, but any suggestions/comments gratefully received

Mark
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

The answer to your third question is yes. Tappets are effect by the cold as this effects the clearance which makes the noise. You should never try and listen for a strange noise from a 911 engine until it is fully warmed up. If you read some of the post on Pelican regarding doing your tappets the common theme is check, re-check and re-check again and again !!!! As it was your first time (and it can be tricky) I would recommend another go at adjusting them. And remember this must be done on a stone cold engine.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for that Brendan.

I did make sure it was stone cold, but yes I might have another go.

i'll have a look through some of those posts as well

Cheers
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Make sure that the oil sprays are working too. A mate lost a cam to a blocked oil spray....
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks Tim - can you point me to somewhere that shows me where they are - and how I should clear them

Cheers

mark
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I think you look for ample/equal/abundant quantities of oil covering the moving parts. If blocked, I guess it need to be cleared from the inside-out. Sorry, I don't know any details.
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
sladey

Post by sladey »

OK thanks Tim - I'm going to do a re-adjust this coming week-end - on reading other people's posts I reckon I've got a combination of
1. me stressing out and imagingin I'm hearing my crank exploding,
2. me not being used to hearing a 911 engine in the cold (4 months with a nissan micra does your head in!),
3. me probably not making them tight enough (the guy on the pelican forum did the same thing - the problem is that when they say there should be 'some resistance' that is a very subjective measure - I was getting some resistance from the clagginess of the oil).

The noise is coming from mainly one side of the engine - and it does vary.

When I take the cover off to check that this week-end I'll look out for any dry bits

Cheers

Mark