Any recomendations for a mid-rise scissor lift?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Geordie71
DDK Seasoned Poster

Any recomendations for a mid-rise scissor lift?

Post by Geordie71 »

I'm planning on doing more work myself on my 89 so thinking about getting a mid-rise portable scissor lift.

I used to live in the US and a couple of my Porsche buddies had Bendpak MD-6XP mid-rise scissor lifts which are good quality and which they are happy with …...so this is my starting point option

will also be looking at lifts when go down to London Classic Car show in a couple of weeks

Does anyone here have a mid-rise portable scissor lift ……. or a something similar you can recommend

Don't have space for 2 or 4 post lift and needs to be moved out of the way to park other cars in the back so portable best

All feedback and recommendations appreciated
Cheers
Steve / Geordie71

1989 Silver 911 3.2 G50 LHD #89silverbullet
1995 Speed Yellow 993 LHD - deposit paid
2010 Silver 997.2 C2S daily driver LHD
2003 Boxster 3.2 F-stock race car LHD
1963 Karmann Ghia 200hp Chopped Hot Rod LHD
Chris_911
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Any recomendations for a mid-rise scissor lift?

Post by Chris_911 »

I was tempted by one of these, but can't stretch to it right now :(

Discussion here on IB: https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/ind ... icle-lift/
"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before, or after, is just waiting."

1988 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe
2006 Honda VFR800 Vtec
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

I keep looking at these, https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... icle-lift/

I have bought a 4 post of them and no problems.

Roy
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

The low rise “quick jack” type seems to be a good DIY option as compact / light / easy to store. Good enough for most jobs but only ~500mm lift though. Used regularly by MightyCarMods on YouTube.

Seem to be circa £1500 though, via eBay etc.

Might price up a direct order & see if that is palatable. Such as:

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

What can be done on one of these that can’t with a jack and axle stands?

You can get it a bit higher but you’re still sitting down or stooping for brakes and getting underneath is presumably harder due the bulk of the things.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
stretch

Post by stretch »

I bought one of the Automotec one's for my ST build. Great bit of kit, easy to move around on a nice flat floor.
https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... ssor-lift/

Image20180730_123439 by stretch1985, on Flickr
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Sam wrote:What can be done on one of these that can’t with a jack and axle stands?

You can get it a bit higher but you’re still sitting down or stooping for brakes and getting underneath is presumably harder due the bulk of the things.
Tru dat. But getting a car up on 4 axle stands makes me very nervous. Obv, trolley jack pulls as it lifts, so risk of other end tipping over axle stands. Also, more modern motors have limited jack placement options, while leaving a spot free for the axle stand. The quick jack style weigh about 45kg each so easy to more around & store. If you have space & height for a two post or 4 post, that is a much better option.... but even a standard twin garage is not really big enough, unless you have a full width door & stick the lift in the middle.
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

Hi I've a Bendpak SP-7 - bought it nearly 10 years ago and in use every week, I burned out "something" in it 5 years ago, must have been the motor?? got it repaired and works a treat. I've mine recessed in to the garage floor - did this when building the garage and putting in the floor but could have left it surface mounted and still parked on it. It's just about full height and I'm pleased I didn't get mid rise but understand why many do. I can reccomend Bendpak - its worked for me....100%
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Bruce M wrote: Obv, trolley jack pulls as it lifts, so risk of other end tipping over axle stands
Not really.
Trolley jack rolls as it lifts. Other end stays where you left it. Assuming garage floor is flat and smooth so the jack can move to find its position.
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

inaglasshouse wrote:
Bruce M wrote: Obv, trolley jack pulls as it lifts, so risk of other end tipping over axle stands
Not really.
Trolley jack rolls as it lifts. Other end stays where you left it. Assuming garage floor is flat and smooth so the jack can move to find its position.
I've done this in the past. You do need to be VERY careful not to rock the car off the first pair of axle stands, no matter which way round you do it. Having said that, my old garage has a tamped floor...…

I went for one of these -

I had used a friends one now and again over the past number of years, and it was simple and reliable to use, although not as cheap as when the Euro was 70-odd pence...…
They also do scissor lifts - https://www.redmount.ie/

Cheers
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I have one of these from Strongman Tools for sale as we just put in another new 4-poster. Excellent condition £500.

https://sm-t.co.uk/product/tamar-2-7-to ... l-release/
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

jwhillracer wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:
Not really.
I've done this in the past. You do need to be VERY careful not to rock the car off the first pair of axle stands, no matter which way round you do it. Having said that, my old garage has a tamped floor...…

Cheers
JW
Years ago, I tipped the axle stands on one occasion and I got a fright. No risk to me, but nearly punctured the fuel tank. A small nut jammed under the trolley jack wheel so it didn’t slide on the floor and in my haste to crank the handle, I didn’t notice.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

camperco wrote:I have one of these from Strongman Tools for sale as we just put in another new 4-poster. Excellent condition £500.

https://sm-t.co.uk/product/tamar-2-7-to ... l-release/
Hi Angus

It looks like it can be set to different heights; if it can be locked a little below the full working height (say 90cm) I will take it as it will fit below my the section of my garage with a loft.

Can come and collect in a couple of weeks with my trailer - will pm you

Thanks
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... ssor-lift/

+1 for this company. an excellent product and great aftersales and tech support.

Mid rise lift and I use mine all the time. It's a 2 minute job to lift any car in the air and so much easier to work on wheels / suspension etc.

I dropped the gearbox from a front wheel drive golf and the ability to position it at any position makes the job so much easier.

Compared to similar products the automotech ones have a fully hydraulic dual ram setup. This gives unlimited height adjustment.I have had cars up in the air for weeks and they don't move. I'm told the hydraulics fail safe, but theres room to put an axle stand in the mechanism for the paranoid.

As this model has no centre section you can customise the width and so far the only bits that are hard to reach are the sills. Exhaust swaps on front engine cars are easy and an engine or transmission drop on a heck motor is no problem.

For those jobs that require sill access it makes it really simple and safe to put the car on high axle stands or wooden crib blocks if you need the car under it's own weight.

It also feels much more stable that when I have been wrenching on a 2 post lift as, using large rubber jacking squares, there is a larger surface area taking the load and if one jacking point should fail you have the length of the ramp to act as a safety net.

Its been (almost) life changing and I wish I had bought it much earlier.

1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Back in 2005 Ian Donkin had the use of a mid rise lift that was owned by Steve Bradbury...see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6272&p=42989&hilit=superpro#p42989
I believe Steve picked up the ramp by chance on one of his farm visits for a bargain price!
Interestingly the lift can also tilt fore and aft so that one could stand up to access the underside of the car.
At the time it was mooted that copies could be made in China for a reasonable cost, but nothing came of that.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less