Getting a car that isn't a 911

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Getting a car that isn't a 911

Post by Sam »

The problem with deciding you need a change is that when you make a list of what you want and need from an occasional car, you always end up back at a 911 being the only sensible choice. But I think I need a change from sensible. No doubt I'll end up back in a 911 in no time, but for now I fancy something else.

What do I get?

I walk to work and have 3 kids, so whatever I get is for high days and big road trips only. I have other small, light cars and motorbikes so it doesn't need to be a tactile, sensory marvel for a Sunday blast.

5 criteria:

Not horrid to drive.

<£70,000 ideally, but maybe up to £90,000.

A sense of occasion.

Just about fits a bicycle inside without complete disassembly.

A reasonable chance of not being financially ruinous.

599?
AMG GT?
FF?
Evora?
GT4?
That Giulia with a Ferrari motor?
i8?
Maserati GT?

Clearly each of these has a severe image problem, but I can get a hat so no one recognises me.

Other suggestions please.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Getting a car that isn't a 911

Post by inaglasshouse »

GT3. No, wait, that's a 911.
Sorry.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Some kind of Aston? Looks like you can get a DB11 for 80K now - that's proper depreciation.
mycar

Post by mycar »

This fills the criteria perfect I think and at 16k you'll have enough left over to buy one of them carbon fibre pushbikes to stash in the back.

https://www.uksportsandprestige.co.uk/v ... 709f30ac63

HTH.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sam wrote: That Giulia with a Ferrari motor?

Do you mean a Lancia Thema 8.32 (Ferrari V8 engine) ?

Personally I think they're horrible (but I've never driven one - or wanted to ...)

I think that the way things are going I'd be inclined to avoid big heavy cars with thirsty engines ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mycar

Post by mycar »

Good point Andy.

Forget the yank, what about this beauty ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Karmann-G ... 1438.l2649

The kids will love it.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Do you mean a Lancia Thema 8.32 (Ferrari V8 engine) ?

Personally I think they're horrible (but I've never driven one - or wanted to ...)

I think that the way things are going I'd be inclined to avoid big heavy cars with thirsty engines ...
Not that - but arguably the new version of that: https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/quad ... adrifoglio

This is potentially my last hurrah with said big thirsty cars, before they become untenable.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

mycar wrote:Good point Andy.

Forget the yank, what about this beauty ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Karmann-G ... 1438.l2649

The kids will love it.
I suspect you are deliberately missing the point Michael.

Plus that's been backdated and everyone knows backdates went out in 2014.
Mike

Post by Mike »

No need to search further, you were right with the first choice, Ferrari 599 GTB every day of the week!!!

Sensational drive... check
Bang on top budget... check
Every drive an incredible occasion.... check
Bike, folding one in the boot.... check
Financially safe, look after it and don’t crash it.... check

600hp normally aspirated V12, 3 sec 0-60, 200+mph what are you waiting for, it’s a buyers market.

As for an image problem, don’t buy a red, yellow or white one, everyone will think you’re a knob. Get a black, dark blue or preferably metallic grey with black interior and you won’t even need a hat, the only people who will notice are the ones who appreciate it.

One other thing... it’s a V12 FERRARI!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
mycar

Post by mycar »

Mike wrote: don’t buy a red, yellow or white one, everyone will think you’re a knob.
8) Good to know.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I think your list is pretty good for modern non-911 choices. The only think I would ask is what you consider to be finically ruinous? Most of those will cost you at least 5 figures to run annually except maybe the GT4.

Would you consider a classic / youngtimer? Or are you after something more modern?
The force is strong in this one ......
Sam

Post by Sam »

I don’t think I’d want anything less refined / fast than the 964 I’ll be replacing. What are you thinking?

I could deal with £10k a year running costs. Easily justifiable to Mrs Sam as being less than the depreciation on a 5 series...

A pal has a 355 that’s done 30k miles. He paid £60k, has owned it 3 years, it now owes him £100k and still needs £10k in bits and bobs to make it a properly nice car. That sort of thing would spoil ownership for me.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Mike wrote:No need to search further, you were right with the first choice, Ferrari 599 GTB every day of the week!!!

Sensational drive... check
Bang on top budget... check
Every drive an incredible occasion.... check
Bike, folding one in the boot.... check
Financially safe, look after it and don’t crash it.... check

600hp normally aspirated V12, 3 sec 0-60, 200+mph what are you waiting for, it’s a buyers market.

As for an image problem, don’t buy a red, yellow or white one, everyone will think you’re a knob. Get a black, dark blue or preferably metallic grey with black interior and you won’t even need a hat, the only people who will notice are the ones who appreciate it.

One other thing... it’s a V12 FERRARI!
This is precisely the sort of encouragement I was looking for.

Black would be my first choice. Followed by grey.
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Sam,
We had a chat at CLM 2 years ago and I was trying to convince you to buy an Aston then! The V8 Vantage is a bargain and properly bullet proof and easy to work on the simpler stuff. They are really cheap now. Buy 07 or newer. The V12 Vantage is mental. Properly nuts. Brakes can expensive on those as they are carbon ceramics. DB9 really cheap and easy to mod if that takes your fancy and tweak to DBS levels or buy a DBS. They have dropped recently. It’s an epic car...even the auto- don’t believe all you hear on you tube!
Lots of independents too. I use Bamford Rose. Full service for the V12’s about £700 tyres about £150. Discs and pads same as genuine porsche ( other CC).
Cheers

Rich
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 8/10200734

Last service six and a half grand !

BUY IT !!!!!