356A Smashed door glass!

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

356A Smashed door glass!

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Folks,
Well I went down to the workshop on Sunday morning ready to get on with another constructive days work on my 356A Coupe restoration, only to be greeted by the sight of a completely smashed right hand door glass; no idea how it happened or why but what I do know is that I now have a gaping hole where the glass used to be and a large dustpan full of glass fragments!
So you know whats coming...does anyone out there have a spare door glass that they would be willing to sell to help me get the resto back on track? I'd really appreciate any offers of help!
Thank you for listening.

RoscoP
Robin G-J
DDK Newbie

Re: 356A Smashed door glass!

Post by Robin G-J »

Hi, RoscoP. Glass is flat so not handed. [coupe, not cabrio?] I think a glass supplier could cut, chamfer and toughen a new piece using the other one you have as a pattern. Could be a plan? I might have a glass and will look tomorrow [Tues]

Good luck, Robin G-J.
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Try Karman Konnection, it’s the sort of thing they have.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated!
Robin, thanks for the info, I'll have to make enquires into the toughened glass suppliers as I'm no big authority on the fenestration front and my local suppliers in Cheshire don't seem interested..any idea of a firm that could do this? Before I contact KK or similar I'll wait to hear if you have one hidden away somewhere or if anyone else can help!
It's so depressing, my windscreen fitter arrived yesterday and put the front and rear screens in (I was very afraid!!) and it's now just this door glass that's preventing progress..aarggh!
Thank you for listening

RoscoP
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Roger Bray have A coupe door glass listed but out of stock.

Probably worth giving them a call to see if they have a spare window knocking about or when they will be getting new stock in.

https://www.rogerbrayrestoration.com/sh ... 6-a-coupe/
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

RoscoP,

Try PRS Services they hold many used spare parts and are fully experienced on everything 356 .

Best to call them on 07000 356911

Website www.prs356.com ( They are based in Essex )

Remember all the parts they have might not be listed on their website.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Good point Roy. I had a look on the PRS website and they don't list anything suitable but I'm sure Paul may have something useful in stock.
Robin G-J
DDK Newbie

Post by Robin G-J »

Hi RoscoP. Looked today but I have only one pair left and these are spoken for. [currently rebuilding a pre-A]. There must be some spare glasses as they don't rust, unlike the rest of the car!

Good luck. Robin G-J
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for looking, appreciate your help.
If anyone can help I'd be grateful, the windscreen fitter came yesterday and put the front and rear screens in so for the first time in 5 years the 356 looks like a 356...….except for the bloody right hand door glass!
Thank you for listening
RoscoP
Robin G-J
DDK Newbie

Post by Robin G-J »

Hello again RoscoP. Was working today on pre-A and have found one spare window glass in an obscure corner of my workshop!

The glass does not have the steel rail to engage the lifter but yours should be o.k. I have never tried to fit one of these rails; If there is a rubber liner/seal then I guess Wurth rubber glue is the way to go. I have never made rubber stick well with normal trim contact adhesives.

I am in Nottingham [5 mins from M1 junc25.] Could post but risky! 0115 9392353 evenings.

Bon Chance! Robin G.-J.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the message, I'll give you a call today!
Cheers
Ross
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Make a template & measure thickness of glass. Order some genuine Plexiglass off ebay for about 30 quid. Cut it out & round the edges with some 240 & 400 grade sandpaper.

I did this with my old 57A, it looked spot on & saved weight.

Gill
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Gill,
That was a thought but fortunately Robin has bailed me out! I run lexan with sliders on my 2.8rsr "tribute" car and they are so light...and don't smash when you leave the car alone in the workshop!
Thank you for listening
RoscoP