NEC Classic Car Show

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: NEC Classic Car Show

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sam wrote:
gridgway wrote:Does the Citroen BX a count as a classic?
Bloody hell yes.

A wonderful piece of Gandini design and a joy to rag around, especially in 16v GTi form. Properly good to steer.

The lightest ones were sub 900kg. For a big family car.

And the interior is glorious.
Yes, great cars (I'm a fan of older Citroens) - l had a black 1.9 GTi as my 'daily driver' for a year in the late '90's ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Me too, I had a red BX19 GTI in 1987, did about sixty thousand in it, always flat out. It was a bit noisy so I switched to XMs and had a couple of those too. Always loved Citroen and had a 1220 GS in the seventies, which was also a bit special.

Pity they’ve lost it now. I’d have bought a C6 for two pins but it was impractically large although fantastic.
Martyn1
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martyn1 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
Sam wrote:
gridgway wrote:Does the Citroen BX a count as a classic?
Bloody hell yes.

A wonderful piece of Gandini design and a joy to rag around, especially in 16v GTi form. Properly good to steer.

The lightest ones were sub 900kg. For a big family car.

And the interior is glorious.
Yes, great cars (I'm a fan of older Citroens) - l had a black 1.9 GTi as my 'daily driver' for a year in the late '90's ...

I bought a new BX in 1984, I was only 22 but was sold on the looks and quirkiness of the car. There was nothing else out there like it. I particularly remember the indicator switch, it was a rocker fixed onto the top of the dashboard just in reach without taking left hand off the steering wheel. Sold it in 1986 bought a new Golf GTi which was a different beast but the BX remains a class car in my thoughts.
Dreaming of a 911 S Currently Porscheless.
Ex cars 993 Targa and 997 C2S......
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Image[/quote]

The information sheet on the red Alfa 1900 said it was owned by Kevin Mcloud, I assume the guy who presents "Grand Designs" as he was featured in "Classic Car" magazine last year, although not with this car.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

When I was down at Alfaholics at the end of last year they had a 1900 in for restoration which belonged to Kevin McLoud so that may well be his car ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So don't get me wrong, I got more points in my BX16V in the 3 years I hooliganed round the country than in the rest of my driving career.
A wonderful, wonderful car, just can't think of it as old enough to be a classic.

I wonder if you can still get a decent one?

ETA: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1149695 Must be a classic then!

Graham
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Not many around!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Can't stop looking!
Sam

Post by Sam »

The 16v is obviously the quick one, but I’d look for a pre 86 Sport to get the proper interior.

This sold a month or two ago near me:

https://www.autostoresales.co.uk/citroenbxsport

I kept meaning to go and look at it, but it went before I did.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I was really after an AX GT. They’re a brilliant bit of engineering, <700kg, lightest car per square inch on the road ever. Or something.

All sorts of simple weight saving details like 3 bolts per wheel, no metal frame on the tailgate, barely any interior trim, lift out sunroof so you don’t have the mechanical bits.

I couldn’t find a good one though so got a 205.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Sam wrote:I was really after an AX GT. They’re a brilliant bit of engineering, <700kg, lightest car per square inch on the road ever. Or something.

All sorts of simple weight saving details like 3 bolts per wheel, no metal frame on the tailgate, barely any interior trim, lift out sunroof so you don’t have the mechanical bits.

I couldn’t find a good one though so got a 205.
AX GT, my first ever car, first one was written off, long story....collided with a doble decker bus, lucky escape. I was gutted at the time so decided to buy a 2nd, this was during my university days.....i kept this one for best part of 4 yrs, fun light car.....