5th gear stuck after swepco

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

5th gear stuck after swepco

Post by BS »

Hi there

yesterday I changed my gearbox oil with Swepco, today the 5 th gear is acting up. I t seems stuck now and then. Need a lot of presure to get it out again. anyone ?

thanks!
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

check your linkage under the back seat first before you do anything drastic
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

B.S.: I found that Swepco ruined the change on the gearbox initially, but after a while it settles down again. I have heard of this from other people.

Assuming nothing else has changed (i.e. that you haven't adjusted the linkage/clutch cable at the same time) then just put some miles on the oil: I'm sure you'll find that it settles back down again. Be assured that a lot of folk on this forum use, and recommend Swepco, so don't worry too much! :)
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

I hope so thanks!
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I have just seen a similar new post on Pelican Parts, have a look to see what the responses were

Ian
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

thanks Ian, that would be my post... ;-)
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

I changed to Swepco about a month ago to see if it would reduce the effects of my worn 1st and 2nd 915 syncros... it actually made the shifting worse... its now in for a rebuild 8)

I'm sure it is top stuff if the gearbox is sound in the first place though, judging by how often its recommended.
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Barry wrote:B.S.: I found that Swepco ruined the change on the gearbox initially, but after a while it settles down again. I have heard of this from other people.
gav p wrote:I changed to Swepco about a month ago to see if it would reduce the effects of my worn 1st and 2nd 915 syncros... it actually made the shifting worse... its now in for a rebuild 8)

I'm sure it is top stuff if the gearbox is sound in the first place though, judging by how often its recommended.
I noted the same when I put Swepco in mine - initially very poor but got much better after 500 miles or so. If syncro's are worn however, there's only so much oil can do.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(