Spa next year - how hard?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Spa next year - how hard?

Post by gridgway »

Didn't go this year, but daughter's b/f was racing and came third twice in the allcomers closed wheel race in a measily pinto engined Lola - he seems to know his stuff winning the Sports2000 enduro championship again this year.

Apparently 'we' are planning an entry to the 6 hour race next year (said b/f, daught and me).

To those in the know, is that a thing? Can mortals get an entry? Obvs I'll have to get my Int C licence back with the ghastly stress ECG. Just wondered how hard it is to enter?

Graham
majordad
I luv DDK!

Re: Spa next year - how hard?

Post by majordad »

Why not do the CSCC summer Spa Classic, Nat A licence needed.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

You need to put your entry in as soon as the list opens - usually January. May not be a bad idea to drop the organisers a line before then, particularly if you are planning to run something interesting
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Yes, I haven't worked out the gist of the plan yet, just heard the germ of the idea!

So was just wondering how hard an entry was and whether there was a waiting list or other things that might make it a non-starter.

I'm hopefully racing at Spa next year in my historic single seater, so thought that a sports car race in September would also be good to do.

Will look at the CSCC summer classic as well.

Graham
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

I have a mate who had a great run on Saturday in a well screwed together TR4. He might be considering parting with it........it has a proven 6hr finish record and is beautifully wired! PM me if you'd like an introduction......W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Sam

Post by Sam »

You’re ahead of many in having a co-driver that has finished strongly, but behind many who have raced before themselves or have cars that have done so.

The organisers want competitive but safe racing and enough glamour to keep enticing new blood and spectators along. You need to work out what you can offer them that others can’t.

Some strong finishes in the car in other historic entrance stuff would defo be good.

Do you know any famous classic Porsche motoring journalists that you could give a drive to? That’s always a winner in the glamour stakes.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I was thinking of trying to get my chum Andy Wallace along for a go. Then we also have a woman who like me has raced historics! Need to work out what the plan might look like or whether it's all just the usual racing nonsense!
Graham
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

FIA HTP-legal 1967MY 911S road/race car for sale

in Vehicles for Sale section!
:wink: :wink: W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Winston Teague wrote:FIA HTP-legal 1967MY 911S road/race car for sale

in Vehicles for Sale section!
:wink: :wink: W
It caught my eye!
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Might be an idea to have a look at the regs sometime - just sayin
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
NurLinks
DDK Fanatic

Post by NurLinks »

one-two wrote:Might be an idea to have a look at the regs sometime - just sayin
Exactly...

Otherwise, it's basically first come, first served. It's not Goodwood! We've missed out in the past for being late to enter (while we have finished in the top 20 in most years and top 10 in others and were class winners) so unless you're racing royalty there is no preferential treatment.

Apart from the car, which many people considering an entry are focussing on, the team that is running the car is just as important. A good team helps with getting you and the car ready. Dashboard lighting, well aligned spotlights for night driving, fitting a long distance tank, lights on the pitboard, etc... are essentials which many first (or second, or third) timers tend to forget. Setting a car up for the 6 Hours, taking an relevant spares package, developing a strategy and the ability to perform repairs on the fly during the race is best left to an experienced team. It's a waste of you entry fee, your time and your money to come to the 6 Hours unprepared only to see nothing in the dark, miss the pitboard, run out of brake pads or have a DNF for a silly reason.

Finally, running a Porsche (if eligible!) is tempting, but it is not a (class) winner and at the same time a very expensive choice in terms of running costs, potential accident damage and rebuilds. For the best value in terms of costs/competitiveness, many people run a V8 (Falcon Sprint or Mustang Notchback is still kind of affordable) or a reliable 4 cylinder car like a Lotus Elan or an MGB. A friend of mine finished in the top ten with a legal Elan, another in the top 20 in an MGB. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

Just my 2 cents
1986 911 3.3 Turbo, 1973 911 RSR Replica, 1974 FIA spec 3.0 RSR (in progress)
1993 928GTS, 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia