Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Re: Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Post by AccidentalGenius »

The engine is now in the car. Initially the tailpipe didn't look right, it was sloping down and across and it was visible from the back of the car. This has now been resolved.

The external oil cooler is bolted in place but not yet plumbed in. I need to get some 90 degree fixings to complete this part of the job. The wiring for the fan is in place so this shouldn't be too hard to complete when the parts arrive.

The fuel pump is now installed and the newly powder coated fuel tank is ready to go in. Up front we also now have 2 new (bigger) compressors for the airride. These have been installed in the front wheel well so i now need to get some longer hoses from the compressors to the tank (which guess what... has also been powder coated!)

The roll cage has now also been re-installed following a trip to be powder coated (what a shock!)

Dashboard is complete with all gauges and switches and is waiting for final wiring. This should happen by the end of the month.

There isnt much left to do to get the car up and running so we can start the IVA / testing process. This is not something i have had to do before but i am hopeful that giving myself 6-months to complete it will be sufficient and should therefore enable me to get the car on the road for next spring... is this reasonable do you think??? anyone???

I am also getting closer and closer on a paint colour... watch this space!
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Sounds like a lot of work has been completed.

What was the shock with the powder coated roll cage?

IVA - How long is a bit of string? I would suggest that you get the car to a friendly MOT station. At least it would give you a heads up on some points, emissions, brakes, lights working, hand brake etc. They may also be able to set the headlight angles correctly for you. Its a low cost way of getting a second pair of eyes on the build. Its amazing how the car leaves your garage everything working and then gets to site and now it does not, always an electrical issue somewhere

How many times have you changed your mind on paint colours?

:)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Thanks for that, sounds like a great idea.

Sorry, i didnt mean i was shocked by the power-coated roll cage, more that it seems i have powder-coated the entire car recently!!!! Everything that was once on the car has been taken off and sent away to be powder-coated. Not only that, my wifes uncle (is that my uncle in law? lol) has recently started powder coating so i could have had it all done for next to nothing!!!

With regards to paint, it reached the point where i was changing my mind several time per day and then i decided i had to stop researching paint colours. My wife also got to the point where she would rather never see me again than give me her opinion on yet another colour that, to her, looked like every other picture i had shown her that day!!!

I am now pretty happy with regards to colour, i think i know what colour i am going to go for and i will be asking my wifes other uncle to see if he can mock a sample up for me as he owns a body shop! If the test he does for me hits the mark i will be sorted, fingers crossed!!!

Picking a colour is by far the hardest decision of the entire build. Other things are difficult too, the layout of the dash (gauges, switches etc), the wheels, the overall style, the interior trim, seat style... but all that is a walk in the park compared to the final colour choice.

I would suggest that my car is more than a bit 'marmite'. The air ride isnt to everyones taste, the use of Porsche 550 lights on the back is getting very mixed reviews, my desire to install a pretty high-end Focal amp and speakers makes some people roll their eyes; and tha is before they see my ipad mounted on the dash to power it all!!! I have an equally 'marmite' approach to the final paint job and i am not sure if i am brave enough to carry it off yet... lets see how the samples look and then maybe i will share more on this...
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Low down - Loud - topless - brilliant :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

greg356a wrote:Low down - Loud - topless - brilliant :)
Accomplished public speaker and 80s smudgepaper celeb S'manfa Fox?
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

LOL...

Well, this week my page 3 beauty has progressed yet further and by this time next week i should be able to say that she starts on the turn of a key, all the electrics work and she is on her way back to me.

But i am not that foolish, so i will just hope that we are somewhere close to that.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Love the mirrors you have on yours and could be tempted, but are these going to be IVA friendly, or will you have to do something else for IVA and then put these beauties back afterwards
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Oh, good question. I believe they are IVA friendly but i will double-check when the car is back with me.

However, thinking about the main issues with external mirror... They are adjustable, the driver can reach out the window and make the adjustment. The size of the mirror glass is big enough and they are quite rounded and have no sharp edges. It would surprise me if they failed tbh.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

The bit I was concerned about was they have to breakaway if you hit something, I'll look up the wording as l think this could be an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Just reread the mirror IVA specification in detail, and I think you are right there is nothing to say these mirrors wont pass the test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk