a arm bush tools

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

a arm bush tools

Post by Dean.s »

I'm covering all options with this job. Has anyone bought the bushing kit which includes the fitting tools? are you willing to pass them on to someone with out them, which in turn would then be passed on to another in need of them?
1974 Porsche 914
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: a arm bush tools

Post by defianty »

Can't help you with the tool, sorry. I took mine to my local mechanic who charged me about £20 cash.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Where are you based? You are welcome to pop here and use mine, but unfortunately they are not as simple as you think to fit. Very easy to tear the end when fitting the rear bush.

We are near blandford in Dorset.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Thanks for the offers. I'm in south Wales so as pleasant as a trip to Dorset would be it's a bit of a trek.

I had a friend take one arm off on the weekend for me, i'm not recovered enough to do it myself just yet. My local garage has offered to let me use his press if i need it. I may just make the pieces needed so as i can fit them using the threaded bar technique as per 9 1 4 rubber. unless they can sort out a better shipping cost, in which case i'll buy and use theirs.
1974 Porsche 914
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

Dean

I used the URO bushes. I followed their guide, see video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45IvTOZxtBE

Instead of a press I used a sash clamp from screwfix, and a block of wood with a hole cut in.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-sa ... p-36/8980v

I have done mine and chief's suspension. It isn't a great deal of effort, just need to watch the alignment closely when winding the parts on. I did a quick guide on page 17 of my write up.
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

I used the uro bushes too. I don't know why i thought they would be so difficult to fit. They were a doddle to sort and i'm not 100% recovered yet.

I bought the threaded rod and used large sockets to push the bushes on. Plenty of red rubber grease and jobs a goodun.
1974 Porsche 914
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Both control arms have now been installed with new bushes and ball joints.

1st one i did i boiled the rubbers and sleeve.

The 2nd one i just lubed and pushed on. I only used the threaded bar on the first arm. The job is incredibly easy to to do. The hardest part was pushing the arm back into the frame under the steering rack. I can see howthe clamp that LMR posted would work if needed

My advice for this job using the parts i used is go for it. Don't be nervous about it (like i was at first) just make sure the car is secure so that it doesn't fall on you.
1974 Porsche 914
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Please let us know how the new bushings last. Over here (USA) URO's bushings have quite a few naysayers, perhaps driven by watching Chuck Moreland's (Elephant Racing) video showing (in his opinion) why a replacement bushing that's easy to install is also inherently not able to do the job Porsche's engineers intended. I obsessed about precisely this for a couple of years and then stepped up to buy Rebel RSR parts instead. I hope yours work well; your 914 is a beauty. Best, John
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

I've had the car out in the mountains and it feels great. If there are longevity issues i'll deal with it in due course but as my car doesn't go out very often i'm not to bothered about replacing them anytime soon.

I think for my own driving and my cars' condition items like elephant racings will be to over engineered. Not to say they aren't really good items, they just aren't for me.
1974 Porsche 914