356b for sale

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 356b for sale

Post by Ashley James »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
Ashley James wrote: Modern cars are so much better riding and handling and so much less effort to drive ...

- which is one of the very reasons I like 'old' cars ... you need to input the effort to get the most out of them & when you get it even half right it gives you a 'buzz' .

In addition, to get the same level of enjoyment/excitement/satisfaction/etc in a modern car you need to be travelling at much higher (& often) illegal speeds ...

I’m doing a round Monmouthshire drive in the Healey on Sunday, so I’ll let you know how I get on.

It’s getting a 123 distributor to maximise power/torque and a thicker anti roll bar so that there’s less chance of the chassis lifting the inside wheel off off and giving unwanted oversteer. It’s quite a bit faster than my 356C but doesn’t ride or handle as well.

Everywhere you go in a Healey you get smiles, waves and lengthy conversations because people love them and probably haven’t owned one.

takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

Yes the newer cars are better in most ways and you don’t have to think twice about jumping into one and driving to say Devon. As a means of transport difficult to Better, but they have no soul, go into a OPC look in side any of the cars, what do you see but a Euro box, my wife as a GLC, take away the badges you wouldn’t know what make it was, with its plastic chrome look alike trim, another soulless Euro box.
We looked at a company from Wales that restores Mercedes pagodas at the NEC, they were at least to look at concours, but for me, they had, had their life torn out. Give me a car with a lived in look. I was talking to a guy from Land Rover classic, prices starting at £80k for a series 1, they scour the globe for a donor and replace, repair to turn what in effect is a new vehicle. But really all they are doing is buying up vin plates, because probably that’s all’s left of the original Landry.
No body mechanically tinkers with a new car, yes you can put go faster stripes on it, in fact I suspect most people wouldn’t know how to open the bonnet. If I just won’t transport then I would use mine or the wife’s car, if I won’t an adventure and make some noise, and for people approach to have a natter about my ride, then I will take the 964. I wish that A would hurry and sell.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

My wife and I don't/wouldn't think twice about driving to Devon (or much further) in our 356b. It cruises happily at 80+ on the motorway, and is real fun off it. 30mpg, Radio with aux lead, away you go, everyone likes it, and it doesn't carry a 'Porsche knob' label. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’m hoping to take mine to the Dordogne and the Pyrenees in September
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

They were built to travel big distances. If any 356 /912 owners fancy doing a big trip together through Europe next year, we’d be up for it. There’s nothing quite like the sight of a group of 356’s thrumming through the mountains.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

jeremyg wrote:They were built to travel big distances. If any 356 /912 owners fancy doing a big trip together through Europe next year, we’d be up for it. There’s nothing quite like the sight of a group of 356’s thrumming through the mountains.
Yes please!
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

To me modern cars have become an appliance on wheels. There to do a job and that's it, no matter what badge it is carrying. And that's fine at times but a classic gives so much back when driving and a lot of satisfaction when you work on them and fix something.
The road trips are great, am off to Stuttgart (again) in the PreA in September. :)
Just need to sort the MOT (it failed on tyres yesterday :( )
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

jeremyg wrote:They were built to travel big distances. If any 356 /912 owners fancy doing a big trip together through Europe next year, we’d be up for it. There’s nothing quite like the sight of a group of 356’s thrumming through the mountains.
If we have one by then we will come.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

takeflight wrote:
If we have one by then we will come.
Next year is CLM ( 3, 4 and 5 July 2020) we are booked into an airbnb in the Le Mans. Happy to do a tour on the way down visiting some places if others are interested. Maybe something in Normandy and the Louvre Valley? We visted Mont St Michael and came back via Paris last time which was great but eager to discovery new places. Mrs Gibson particularly welcome :)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Honfleur.
The museum at Caen.
The tapestry at Bayeux

Three of my favourites, all doable with one overnight stop on the way to Le Mans.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Honfleur... one of DDK's fav stop overs enroute to LeMans ... even if it is slightly out of the way for those over us landing in Zeebrugge 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)