356b for sale

Post by takeflight »

Opinions please from the wise sages!

https://www.eporsch.co.uk/listings/1962-porsche-356b
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 356b for sale

Post by Ashley James »

They’re lovely cars and great fun to drive, they’re even practical for touring, but you need to go and see it and drive it with someone who really knows them and can advise, especially on the most expensive issues.

From the photos, you can see that the driver’s door doesn’t fit too well, passengers is a bit better, I think there’s rust bubbling on the bonnet edge and the rear side interior trim is wrinkled up, which suggests that the window seal may be leaking and that rust is in the rear box section.

Mostly they are simple to work on and very well designed, but rust and accident damage costs a fortune to fix and work already done often makes repair more expensive.

Same applies to all cars. My son has just had a £50,000 quote to respray a recently rebuilt and pretty smart Lotus Cortina. It all started when he put it on axle stands and one went through an outrigger.

Don’t be discouraged, just be careful and get help. I’m sure you’ll love it and the price is realistic.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I had a T6 like this for many years and they're great cars.
As Ashley says, their achilles heel is the body.
There is quite a bit of over bite on the bonnet as well which suggests the front end has had some work. Worth a look though as RHD is quite rare.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Be prepared to have to spend more money BUT it would appear to be worth taking a look at

Pay for Paul to go with you and get a proper report - 07000 356 911
Last edited by Mike Smith on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

Thanks guys, now here’s the thing, I know the B is not popular, but that does not bother me. The Silver A with the red interior at PRS now that keeps calling me, and while I have not heard anything against Eporsche I am well aware PRS are the go to guys.

It’s like having a favourite child, you shouldn’t but you can’t help yourselves.

We went to Prescott last Saturday and a gold 356 was attracting a lot of attention think it may have been one our members. Stunning.

Any more comments welcome

Roy
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

Is this Oldtimers’ car?

He has a B or C rhd in this colour.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

No - his is/was a '64 model (356C) ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

LH outlaw badge on the rear grill, should have photographed it !
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

takeflight wrote:We went to Prescott last Saturday and a gold 356 was attracting a lot of attention think it may have been one our members. Stunning.

Roy
The gold 356 was probably the Carrera that was ordered new in that colour.
A very rare and lovely car.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Hendrik Moulds wrote:
takeflight wrote:We went to Prescott last Saturday and a gold 356 was attracting a lot of attention think it may have been one our members. Stunning.

Roy
Seen pictures of that car. Lovely but not £64k :)

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Don't be afraid of a 'B', they are fab cars and very easy to live with. Do as Mike says and take Paul, expertise like that is always very interesting and money well spent. I would council that if you want a 'driver', there is no need/point in going to the world leading body people for a full resto, the rust will come back again. The panels available are excellent, and many good non-Porsche panel people can sort out a 356 without it costing 10s of thousands. They are not a complex shell. If you want to have a prime example don't buy this one but if you want the fun and excitement of a good road car for using, this doesn't look too bad, especially with some haggling. I rebuilt (as opposed to restored) mine 5 years ago, it's solid, looks good but wont win any PCGB prizes, was done by local fixers, with a hiccup or 2 along the way, and is out in the rain April-October and in near daily use, notching up 5-8000 miles a year, the doors have rust bubbles but we didn't fix these at the time and there are a couple of bubbles around the antenna. Every time i drive it i love it. Good luck. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Don't be afraid of a 'B', they are fab cars and very easy to live with. Do as Mike says and take Paul, expertise like that is always very interesting and money well spent. I would council that if you want a 'driver', there is no need/point in going to the world leading body people for a full resto, the rust will come back again. The panels available are excellent, and many good non-Porsche panel people can sort out a 356 without it costing 10s of thousands. They are not a complex shell. If you want to have a prime example don't buy this one but if you want the fun and excitement of a good road car for using, this doesn't look too bad, especially with some haggling. I rebuilt (as opposed to restored) mine 5 years ago, it's solid, looks good but wont win any PCGB prizes, was done by local fixers, with a hiccup or 2 along the way, and is out in the rain April-October and in near daily use, notching up 5-8000 miles a year, the doors have rust bubbles but we didn't fix these at the time and there are a couple of bubbles around the antenna. Every time i drive it i love it. Good luck. W

I disagree `a little` with a couple of points BUT In my opinion - This is the attitude to adopt with any old car
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

What a refreshing summary of classic car ownership that is.
Apart from the miles my 911 is right there too.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jeremyg

356b for sale

Post by jeremyg »

neilbardsley wrote:
Hendrik Moulds wrote:

Roy
Seen pictures of that car. Lovely but not £64k :)

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
Sorry to spoil the Carrera fantasies, but I think you’ll find it was my humble 59 356A 1600 Super!

As far as I know I was the only 356 there, and have the Outlaws badge on the back left grill. It’s actually 1720cc, and is graphite metallic. It’s an original Porsche colour available I think from 1955. It has gold/yellow metallic flecks in the paint, and in bright sunlight tends to look golden.

Out of the direct sun, it tends more to graphite.

Last edited by jeremyg on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Very - Very Nice

Paul Owns a Graphite Carrera (Requiring Resto) - I guess we had best get on with it while I am still alive to take a spin
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com