Fuel pump rebuild tips

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fuel pump rebuild tips

Post by roy mawbey »

Louis.

One final point does your car have an inline fuel filter fitted in the engine bay in between the metal fuel pipe and the fuel pump? These have been added many times by people but not by the factory. I have never fitted one but just a possibility that might have a problem if fitted?

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

roy mawbey wrote:Louis.

One final point does your car have an inline fuel filter fitted in the engine bay in between the metal fuel pipe and the fuel pump? These have been added many times by people but not by the factory. I have never fitted one but just a possibility that might have a problem if fitted?

Roy
I've got one fitted in both cars and I've never had an issue. Mind might be worth replacing. You can get them for about £2 on ebay.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

Thanks Roy,
I’m beginning to think I jumped too quickly into getting the rebuild kit. But looking at the pump with the top and filter off. It’s full of dry crud. So I think it’s at least time to clean that part out.

I will give your twisty turn trick a go. Nothing to loose on that one.

I must admit that taking the fuel line off the pump in anticipation of rebuilding it. There was no fuel leakage. So I suspect now I have a problem at tank end or the pipe running to it. I stupidly brimmed the tank thinking that I might be on reserve and it not being full enough. So I have a tank full of fuel to get rid of.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to get under the car and look at the petcock. It’s about 20 years old and the tank was repaired about 6 years ago. The car has never seen the rain in 25 years. So hopefully easy to take apart :shock:

Thanks again for your support and advice.
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

neilbardsley wrote:
roy mawbey wrote:Louis.

Roy
I've got one fitted in both cars and I've never had an issue. Mind might be worth replacing. You can get them for about £2 on ebay.
Yes, I’ve got a glass one on the pump to carb side of the fuel line. But the tank to pump side is a solid pipe. I’d be reluctant to put one inline there.
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
62 356 (Working on it!)
BSA Bantam in bits
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

The only risk of have a filter between the pump and carbs is that you have another join (and potential leak) in the engine bay, which could lead to disaster. Not sure an external filter is so necessary as the tap and pump have their own filters (I don't have one in the cab).

Sounds like the fuel tap may not be working properly. It's still worth rebuilding the pump though, if it's full of crud then it's probably not been looked it in a long time.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Louis,

I remember the long length of braided rubber pipe that I put one end into the tank and the other into one several petrol cans to drain it. As the petcock under the dashboard is probably the problem you have no other option but to apply suction to the other end of the pipe :x There must be other ways than using your mouth I have since thought a cycle pump end taped up to suck the petrol down the pipe to start the process.

If yours is really full transfer petrol to your daily car.

Let me know if you need some info on the petcock.

Roy
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

roy mawbey wrote:If yours is really full transfer petrol to your daily car.
Dirty diesel I'm afraid.

Last time I replaced the petcock was 25 yrs ago so probably hasn't done too bad. But they must have taken it off to do the tank.

I will check and feedback. Just got to pop out and get some mouthwash for the syphoning!!! :shock: :shock: :brushteeth:
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
62 356 (Working on it!)
BSA Bantam in bits
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Louis,

Two thread links above yours you will the the thread heading ' 2356 Technical Quick Links.' Open that and then scroll down to the overhaul of the petcock. I just looked on and find it hard to believe I did that instruction 10 years ago!! The photos I doubt will open as they are photobucket but I do still have them on file.

And of course you can buy a new petcock rather than rebuilding one if you feel so inclined.

Good luck with the petrol storage.

Roy
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

I hate syphoning so my tip: a piece of flat wood, drill 2 holes in the middleish, push a piece of hose into each hole, cut a square of old innertube (or similar, holes in middle of this too), hold wood on top of rubber on top of filler orifice in tank (assumes not a t6) and blow into one tube to get flow going, with the other long piece in your can, hey presto clean mouth syphon. If T6 the same but you will have to make a neater job to fit in wing recess i think. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff