Which heat exchangers?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Which heat exchangers?

Post by neilbardsley »

adrianscott wrote:Thanks for your comments guys.
Replacing exhaust & heat exchangers an “easy” job.
Have everything but only 2 gaskets? 4 needed 2 for exhaust
and 2 for heat exchangers?
Based in north London N8.
I haven't done it before and I don't know why Tim is talking about cables. However, seeing that I'm going to have a go soon. There are 4 * 2 nuts that need undoing. There 4 x 1 gaskets for each engine outlet. Some people has spoke about using 4 * 2. I bought my gaskets from PRS as they probably build more engines than anybody else in the UK so they only sell the good stuff. The problem is that the nuts are well hidden under the car. I've read that many suggest that you remove the engine as it allows easier access. However, it can be done with the engine in place but you will probably have to remove some of the tinware to get to the ones at the back. The ones at the front, nearest the flywheel will be tricky too. Looks to me like you need some exhaust paste to seal the muffler and the heat exchangers. Since the car will still run if you have the exhaust off why not have a go and if it all goes wrong drive to somewhere that can help you.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP