Favourite brake pads

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Favourite brake pads

Post by gridgway »

I don't think I have asked this before. I'm not sure if it is really model specific, but I have decided the brakes in my 69T are a bit rubbish. Lots of pushing, but no bite. I think (how embarrassing) that I have got S alloy calipers and vented drilled disks. That sounds to me like a combo that should at least generate some impression of proper retardation.

It's always been like this, just I've now got fed up of it! So assuming the braking system is working ok, my first port of call is to think about better pads.

What are people's favourites? Looking there seems to be no-names, brembos, OEM, fancy Pagid and a vast array of EBC colours (which for some reason don't appeal). I've not looked, but I expect there will be Mintex and Hawks as well.

It's just a poxy 2.0 that's not as fast as my Rover 25 and is very unlikely to ever see a track, but I'd like a bit more bite and confidence.

Thoughts appreciated!

Graham
RichOB
DDK Fanatic

Re: Favourite brake pads

Post by RichOB »

Textar for me Graham. Replaced last year and perfectly good for my E.
Richard

1971 911e LHD
1977 Carrera 3 (sold)
1996 993 c4 (sold)
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint 5
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Ferodo 2500 work for me, tried the EBC Red, but not great feel on the roadbut if EBC I would definitely go Green
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Had the France Carbone in my 73t for many years, they bite from cold and high or low speed.
Darren has them in his hot rod so he may come along with his thoughts.
Not cheap, but very little dust.
EBC really seem ineffective to me, traded them twice.
I have A callipers and original M rear callipers.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I run EBC yellows on the Boxster race car and find them fantastic - hot or cold. BUT - I have a big brake upgrade which is awesome, and frankly you could probably fashion some bits of wood to stick in the calipers and it would stop well.

So I think it is a bit subjective. Would love it if there was a proper stop test conducted by a magazine (cold and hot) but there is not one I am aware of. The point though, (aside from the fact that modern systems are so good that they make old ones feel a bit limp, even in performance cars) is that a decent brake set up should feel pretty effective regardless, and I am not sure that the friction material alone will turn a poorly performing brake system into a good one.

If there is nothing obvious, it might be worth getting someone local who has an early car run it down the road and vice versa to see what you think.

I would avoid anything too aggressive that covers everything in dust. I ran Performance Friction pads on my M calipers years ago on the 914/6, and whilst effective the dust was horrendous and ate into the lacquer on the wheels, so read reviews first.

HTH
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

I also have the carbone pads on my 2.2E. I fitted them last year and the break pedal feel is much improved, the bite is far better and the pedal pressure required to slow the car is significantly reduced over the old pads.

The down side, they can squeal like a pig at time, dust up quite a lot and are expensive.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I had a look at a front caliper this afternoon. The caliper is indeed alloy and the discs are vented and drilled. Amusingly the caliper looks like it was painted assembled with the pads in situ! The pads have no discernible wear and no obvious make. Interestingly the backs of the pads are painted with a rubbery coating - looks hand applied which I presume is instead of copper-slip. Never seen that before. But all looks in good condition.

The pedal is pretty firm, so I think the only way to see if the stopping power is improvable is to start making changes. As I've no idea about the pads, I think I will change to something known. I might well try the Ferodo. Need to do some shopping round to find the best prices.

Will also have a go at bleeding just in case. Let's hope the bleed nipples are not seized!

Cheers
Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That backing I think was used by EBC.
My Carbone pads are noisy, squeeeeeeeking at slow speeds and a real grumble when used hard, but always work.
I've been through 6 different manufacturers over the 30 years I've has with my T and these pads are way above all the others.
You feel you can stop with today's aggressive driving antics.

Dust has never been a problem, but I drive like a wusss on the road...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

CL RC5+ in both cars.....awesome! :thumbright:
NurLinks
DDK Fanatic

Post by NurLinks »

I've tried many brands on race and fast road cars and mostly end up with Performance Fricton (compound of course depending on application).

I also have good experience with Pagid and Carbone Lorraine for fast road use.

Textar pads are very good and comfortable, but if you want to track your car they won't hold up for more than one or two laps.

Without meaning to offend anyone, I would never fit or recommend EBC pads.
1986 911 3.3 Turbo, 1973 911 RSR Replica, 1974 FIA spec 3.0 RSR (in progress)
1993 928GTS, 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

NurLinks wrote:I've tried many brands on race and fast road cars and mostly end up with Performance Fricton (compound of course depending on application).

I also have good experience with Pagid and Carbone Lorraine for fast road use.

Textar pads are very good and comfortable, but if you want to track your car they won't hold up for more than one or two laps.

Without meaning to offend anyone, I would never fit or recommend EBC pads.
None taken! I would genuinely be interested why. Funnily enough I had a similar exchange with a co-competitor at Anglesey last week and he exchanged the same view, but the conversation changed direction before I got chance to ask. Then it fell out of my head as it was beer o'clock....

The upside for me is that if they are the proverbial blocks of wood described in my post then I have the opportunity to develop even mightier brakes!

Thanks
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I tried green stuff twice and this was straight after removing stock Textar pads, and the car seemed to stop the same from cold. As Wayne knows too well, hill climb brakes need to work very well from cold.
I went to Ferrodo then to terrible carbon metallics with sticky corrosive dust that blemished the painted rims to this day, 15 years later.
Tried the greens again as they came for free with grit bedding in faces and silicon faced backing plates. No better.
Went to the Carbone pads after a passenger hill climb ride with Roger Morgan in his tarmac rally 911.... THAT was a convincing experience.

Been in the car now for 5 years, brilliant.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

I must admit that with S calipers, standard pads, on a road with long fast straights, sharp corners, some with downhill entries, such as the one leading to my house, more than a few corners and the brakes are fading badly.
Keith
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

where do you buy them from Graham?
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

Darren65 wrote:CL RC5+ in both cars.....awesome! :thumbright:
Agree albeit use these in a heavily upgraded 986 Boxster - which is also my DD.

Purchase directly via: http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk - I just picked up the phone, confirmed fitment - was happy with the price and lead-time.