Rear garnish rails / mouldings

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Rear garnish rails / mouldings

Post by porschewagen »

Can anyone tell me if genuine 356A Rear garnish rails (the mouldings that sit below the rear quarter windows) will fit into my Speedster Clinic coupe please?

I want to avoid an expensive mistake if they don’t fit as I’ve already made a few of those with my build already!
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Re: Rear garnish rails / mouldings

Post by Richardab1967 »

Yes i have done that quite a few times going in the wrong direction or buying incorrect stuff, but its part of it really, isn’t it!

I bought a full set, front and rear...not cheap.

They sort of fit, not sure the body shape is exactly the same below the window so the rear ones dont sit 100% right, but I am confident that they can be made to fit.

I did look at making them out of steel (i cut a large bore exhaust pipe in half down its length hand folded lips into into it), but it was beyond my skills to get good enough. My fall back was to shape them out of wood which was how they were on the earliest cars, but in the end i found a genuine set in the states, they are maybe 356b ones but i am not sure if pre-A, A or B are much different in shape.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Gary from Speedster Clinic makes replica rails out of fibreglass now so probably best to get them from Gary as they will be much cheaper than originals...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Rob, i knew he did the front ones (right after i ordered my genuine ones!), but does he do the rear ones too now?
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

Yes, would be good to know for sure if Gary does fibreglass ones as I image they would be purpose fit for his cars!

I have the ones for the doors. They’re original A ones and they are a good fit.

I have a small but growing pile of genuine Porsche parts that I bought expecting them to fit but they don’t. Once my build is finished I’ll be having a good clear out. Don’t want to get rid of anything just yet in case I need to “make” them fit or use them as a template for tailor making “compromises”!!