1968 Front Control Arm Bush replacement

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

1968 Front Control Arm Bush replacement

Post by alfi68s »

Hi all, although I've done a quite a few searches on this site and early 911 I haven't been able to find a procedure for removal and replacement of the bushes on a '68 control arm. It looks like with many things on a '68 it's a one year only setup.
If anyone has a guide or any tips and a source for replacement parts it would be appreciated - I don't want to try to remove the old bushes until I have the correct replacements and know the best procedure for changing them.
Thanks in advance
Alfie
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Re: 1968 Front Control Arm Bush replacement

Post by fetuhoe »

The 1968 arm is identical to the 1969-1989 arms apart from the ball joint so any of the later type of bushes an be used.

The bushes are held in place by the housings and have never been bonded to the arms. If they are in poor condition they are easy to remove but if they are in good condition they can be quite difficult to take apart.

The bush is held with a significant amount of radial compression and this makes the 'correct' bush difficult to fit.

There are several options as replacements;

Elephant Racing Polybronze seem to be liked but they are quite expensive.

PU Bushes from Superpro or Powerflex are commonly used but I have never liked them but they are easy to fit.

There are several Rubber Bushes available - with varying quality.

Elephant Racing Bushes are quite expensive and can be fitted using sash clamps and seem popular, they locate the arms reasonably well compared to URO but not as well as a standard bush.

URO Bushes are relatively inexpensive and easier to fit then ER but don't locate the Arms as well as standard bushes.

You can also buy standard bushes from Porsche and for Road cars these provide better location of the arms than any of the other aftermarket rubber bushes but they are a real PITA to fit and really need a hydraulic press.

The best way to fit new bushes is to install them into the housings first and then press them onto the arms using a small amount of rubber grease. Too little grease and they tend to stick and too much and they can slip back off.
alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

Post by alfi68s »

Thanks for the reply. Judging by previous posts you seem to be the guru on these things....
I'll contact Porsche for a direct replacement to begin with.
Thanks
Alfie
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

fetuhoe wrote:
URO Bushes are relatively inexpensive and easier to fit then ER but don't locate the Arms as well as standard bushes.
Sorry to hijack the thread guys but do you know of a place in the UK to order URO parts from? They're producing more and more for the 914 and I'm interested in a few parts. Cheers.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

Post by alfi68s »

Do you know the part numbers fro the Porsche parts? The PET i have shows parts for up to 1967. The 1968 page only shows the complete control arm.
Thanks

Alfie
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

914.341.422.00 - you will need 4 of these.

They are around 35mm long but during fitting they stretch to around 55mm long.

NBR will significantly change shape but is incompressible and the significant amount of radial compression increases the stiffness of the bush without too much impact on it's damping behaviour.

Just remember they are a real PITA to fit which is why we have made a hydraulically operated press.#

URO parts can be ordered from Eurocarparts but many of them are special order and it may be best to speak with Wembley.
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

fetuhoe wrote:
URO parts can be ordered from Eurocarparts but many of them are special order and it may be best to speak with Wembley.
Many thanks.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

FWIW:
I had blue poly bushes on my lower A arms in my 73T for years while hill climbing.
Great when freshly installed with the very high viscosity grease supplied, but eventually started to squeak on the road.
A good dose of WD40 helped, but not a real fix.

Changed back to rubber oem bushes, silent and never noticed any loss of suspension directness.
Bob Watson fitted oem bushes to my arms and simply said they are a real pita to fit and "told you so" as he advised against poly bushes in the first place.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

Post by alfi68s »

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try Porsche items if available. When powder coating/ painting the arms should I leave the bushed area un painted?
Thanks
Alfie
alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

Post by alfi68s »

Hi all, I've now removed the old control arm bushes which has revealed some pitting on one of the arms. I don't think this is reusable? What do you think?
If not does anyone have a good condition 68 control arm for sale?
Thanks
Alfie

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Personally, I would not use that.
The corrosion is very deep, and the tube wall thickness used is not that thick, maybe a 30% or more has been lost.
Might also be other parts of the arms are equally corroded (from the inside too).

Graham.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
alfi68s
DDK Fanatic

Post by alfi68s »

Thanks Graham, I was thinking the same. I think i’ll Look at a new pair of control arms.
I presume if I went for later lwb arms I would need to change the struts as well?
Alfie
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

It wouldn't be difficult to make a repair.

As you suggest, if you change to later control arms you will need to change struts and ball joints and also make some changes to the steerihng rack in terms of track rods.

I may have a set of refurbished 68 arms and i will check on Monday.

I do have some new 1967 arms and these could be fitted with the 1968 bush housings and bushes.
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

1968 style control arms are being remanufactured and are selling for about £160 each with new bushes and bush housings.
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

1968 style control arms are being remanufactured and are selling for about £160 each with new bushes and bush housings.