Steering rack refirb question?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

RichardBTek
DDK addict

Steering rack refirb question?

Post by RichardBTek »

Hi everyone

I'm sure that many have embarked down the route of overhauling their steering racks? Question is: on rebuild, does anyone know how far out you screw the rubber bushed tie rod ends from the locking plate (by the steering rack boot) and what is it's correct orientation with regard to the track rod. Should it be dead vertical, angling backward when in the car or be turned slightly to allow alignment with the track rod end by the hub?

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Richard
1971 911T RHD (Big Restoration)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Steering rack refirb question?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Those are good questions!

You might consider the turbo arm replacement as then all the orientation issues go and you do end up with a very positive steering feel.

If you are determined to keep the stock bushed inners, then a call to Chris at Fenn Lane Motorsport will help considerably.
Chris has rebuilt these racks before and makes replacement parts too.
Extremely knowledgeable to say the least.

I post this google picture to show the orientation of the stock arm and the turbo arm for comparison.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RichardBTek
DDK addict

Post by RichardBTek »

Thanks Graham I give it some thought then give Chris a call.

Many thanks

Richard
1971 911T RHD (Big Restoration)
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

The Silentbloc bushes do need to be installed in a specific position and at specific angles (in two planes) to ensure the correct steering geometry and accurate track rod location.

For a 1971 steering rack this is usually achieved using a P285b fixture.

Internally the rack has a Delrin faced Pressure Block which commonly shows signs of wear and needs careful adjustment to ensure that 'lash' is removed without too much of an increase in the torque required to operate the rack. This should be around 1Nm measured at the pinion.

The end support bearings for the rack are steel backed bi-metallic bushes bonded in a rubber sleeve which reduce transmitted vibration.

There is also a 'full complement needle roller bearing and a deep groove ball bearing needed to locate the pinion gear.

We have made suitable pressure blocks for both the 1965-68 racks and bearings with a 30mm ID for the early rack and 29mm ID for later units.

Image[/URL]

The lubricant used is these racks is a Liqui Moly LM47L
Bob
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Bob »

Do you sell the steering rack end bushes if so could you give me a price.?
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bob, sorry to advise Chris is no longer with us, and I think his business is closed.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9