What’s the worst car you’ve ever owned?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Re: What’s the worst car you’ve ever owned?

Post by dragonfly »

Winston Teague wrote:Peugeot 406 estate. A poorly made, uncomfortable place to wait for the RAC. W
My dad had an HDi from new. Boring old bus but unbelievably economical - he once managed 1,000 miles on a tankful.
When he upgraded he passed it to me for a pittance, as we needed a family wagon with more luggage space than my Gti.
I finally sold it with 175k on the clock and it never let us down. Just last week I met the friend who had it after me, and he’s still running it after closing on 250k miles. Somebody put it out of our misery....
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I keep coming back to this thread keen to make a contribution but slightly torn in several directions. I love all cars and genuinely enjoy owning them, driving them and repairing them no matter how crap they may be. Most of the ones I've really hated belonged to other people!

I've had some right old rubbish in my younger days including a Daf 33, Mk4 Spitfire, Hyundai Pony, side-valve Hillman Minx and a Simca van.

The one that promised the most and delivered the least was a Nissan Navarra Pickup. A proper modern day money pit riddled with design faults in the engine, transmission and chassis. I really was pleased to see the back of it before the back of it folded up towards the front of it.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

camperco wrote:I keep coming back to this thread keen to make a contribution but slightly torn in several directions. I love all cars and genuinely enjoy owning them, driving them and repairing them no matter how crap they may be. Most of the ones I've really hated belonged to other people!

I've had some right old rubbish in my younger days including a Daf 33, Mk4 Spitfire, Hyundai Pony, side-valve Hillman Minx and a Simca van.

The one that promised the most and delivered the least was a Nissan Navarra Pickup. A proper modern day money pit riddled with design faults in the engine, transmission and chassis. I really was pleased to see the back of it before the back of it folded up towards the front of it.
Angus, I really can't believe that the Nissan was worse than a DAF33! The DAF must rate as one of the most slothful and aesthetically challenged small car.
Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

A girlfriend of mine had a DAF 'Daffodil' back in the early '70's & we drove it from London to Alfreton in Derbyshire (& back) a couple of times - struggled up the long/gradual inclines ...
Last edited by Lightweight_911 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

I'm like Angus, had loads of cars and loved them all at the time, until they needed new tyres or a battery! Any old excuse to change it.
Looking back it is easier to see which ones were rubbish, but at the time you just accepted them and got on with it.
Used to use my Dad's side-valve Hillman Minx, yep it was slow and wheezy, but got me out at weekends when I was still at school! Thought it was great, front bench seat.....
Chris_911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Chris_911 »

I truly haven't owned many cars - if a daily keeps doing the job I bought it for then I tend to just keep driving it.

BUT I did have the misfortune to have a Chrysler Sebring as a temporary (thank god) company car for about a week (2009 IIRC). It was awful on an epic scale - simply the most agricultural feeling car I think I have ever driven. I simply couldn't believe Chrysler had the gall to sell it. Even my Viva HB surely bettered it.
"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before, or after, is just waiting."

1988 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe
2006 Honda VFR800 Vtec
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

BILLY BEAN you should be bang about the Daf but it kind of did exactly what was expected of it, unlike the Nissan. In those early 80's days we were working loads of overtime for an Aerospace company one summer in Tewkesbury and we had a bit of cash. (Every week we got a "pay packet" of a special little brown envelope containing real paper money and because we were always at work it never got paid into the bank.)

For a laugh my mates & I used to buy a banger from the Evesham Ad Mag for £10 or £20 and drive it around until the few weeks/days MOT ran out. The Daf had a variomatic drive belt failure one night and broken belt beat the the shite out of floor pan as it struggled along. I can remember laughing so much I almost suffocated. So you see the Daf delivered. Happy days.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
GP911
Married to the DDK

Post by GP911 »

I had a VW 412 Est, loved it, needed to raise some extra cash as we had recently bought our first house. Put the 412 up for sale, sold it but the guy did not have the asking price, I needed a car, so took his 1.3 Austin Allegro, vomit colour in p/x, sad day.
3.2 Carrera.