Radio for a 1957-ish 356A

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Radio for a 1957-ish 356A

Post by smallspeed »

Couple of weird questions (maybe) but I can't seem to find an answer from google - maybe I'm searching the wrong thing.

Does a "standard" old radio fit in a 356?

I'm not sure if the ones where they fit through the dash are a standard layout, or if they have a different spacing for the knobs and the screen bit.

Also did they all fit through the dash, or are there different types for different eras or specs of car?

I think the really old ones (maybe the bent screen/deep sill cars? ) have a central speaker / radio, but I'm more interested in the 1957 356A Coupe. The picture below seems like the normal layout for the radio - on some there's a "PORSCHE" blanking plate, and on some there's a second piece (no idea what it is) underneath like in this photo..

http://derwhites356literature.com/IOTherClock356C.jpg

..I'm not looking to do something concourse / 100% perfectly correct, but want it to look "right" as hopefully what I come up with might help others in the future
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Radio for a 1957-ish 356A

Post by neilbardsley »

smallspeed wrote:Couple of weird questions (maybe) but I can't seem to find an answer from google - maybe I'm searching the wrong thing.

Does a "standard" old radio fit in a 356?

I'm not sure if the ones where they fit through the dash are a standard layout, or if they have a different spacing for the knobs and the screen bit.

Also did they all fit through the dash, or are there different types for different eras or specs of car?

I think the really old ones (maybe the bent screen/deep sill cars? ) have a central speaker / radio, but I'm more interested in the 1957 356A Coupe. The picture below seems like the normal layout for the radio - on some there's a "PORSCHE" blanking plate, and on some there's a second piece (no idea what it is) underneath like in this photo..

http://derwhites356literature.com/IOTherClock356C.jpg

..I'm not looking to do something concourse / 100% perfectly correct, but want it to look "right" as hopefully what I come up with might help others in the future
There is someone on here that sells period radios. I have one but it doesn't work great since the technology is old. You can get a blue tooth attachment so that you can push from your phone. There are a couple of companies that will take a vintage radio and put modern technology inside. As a complete side I had an internal aerial with my vintage radio and it seem to work much better than the normal external one.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Here's a better picture - it's a Blaupunkt frankfurt:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I also had these details saved - maybe a help :

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Awesome info, thanks! So basically you remove the faceplate and shove it through the dash.. The info on spacing will be really useful

My plan is to gut a knackered radio, gut it, and refit it for Bluetooth, SD Card and USB audio input - mine will contain a small pre-amp with 2.1 channel output (RCA's), control for subwoofer level, tone, balance, volume, etc. and other controls for "next", "play/pause", "previous", "source", "power"
If I can get my head around it, it may also include a DAB radio module, however for my personal needs streaming from a phone is enough - I have a ridiculous data allowance so on the very odd occasion I will want the radio on I can use online/streaming service. It also works better using my phone as other things will stream too (sat nav directions for example)

This will be a cheap solution (aiming for <£50 total) so if / when I get it all up and running I will share the full details for anyone else wanting to do similar/the same
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

you cannot 'shove it through the dash' from the front, but you will have to place it from behind through the dash forward.

There are some things to consider:

- it's more of a hassle to connect the necessary cables to the radio (you cannot connect the cables and then shove it wired and all into the hole(s) in the dash);
- Do you have 12V or 6V? Not all radio's have the option to select 6v or 12v (as you'll have 'negative on ground');
- make sure to put an extra fuse in...
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Yep, I get that its fitting in from the back - I think my dashboard will be un-cut and un-drilled so was glad of the info above so I can see if another type of radio might also work in a "proper 356". This is to go into a replica

The radio unit will have none of the original internals, so will be +12v with a 12v (14-10v) to 5v power supply built in and minimal external wiring (2x sets of RCA's). Thats good info on the 6v thing - I didn't think about that, but it will probably be possible to use a power supply that covers 5 to 15v or something to achieve the required 5v to run everything :)

I'll start posting some pics and links and things once I get going
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

This sounds very interesting. Keep us posted. Andy's dimensions match my info (T5 Coupe). Good luck, W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

I managed to get a similar Blaupunkt radio from a European source (62-3) for my T6B. My dash had been drilled for a rubbish modern radio, hence the stainless cover plate.

The original radio works fine. The 356 is the one place where I don't want phone calls or streaming through speakers. If needed a small audio-bud has that covered.

Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)
356Monkey
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356Monkey »

Speak to Mike @ Chrome London (sales@chromelondon.com - www.chromelondon.com
1964 Porsche 356c (RHD)
1957 Vespa GS 150 VS3
1960 Vespa GS 150 VS5
1960 Lambretta Li125
1963 Lambretta Li150 series 3
1962 Lambretta TV175
1966 Lambretta SX200