Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Re: Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Post by Disco »

alfietom wrote:Bit of a crap question really which probably depends on your monetary status.
But if you had a Stainless Rolex Daytona 116500LN would you wear it for everyday or save it for those special occasions to preserve the value?

Not that I have one but it's a watch i like the look of.
I wear mine as a daily. I'm not rich, but like watches and think they should be worn.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

alfietom wrote:Bit of a crap question really which probably depends on your monetary status.
But if you had a Stainless Rolex Daytona 116500LN would you wear it for everyday or save it for those special occasions to preserve the value?

To be honest, only you can really answer this.

I wear a ‘nice’ watch everyday, but am lucky to have a choice.
I have one watch I want to keep nice but enjoy wearing, so I wear it at times I know it won’t get marked... I also have a nice one that I don’t mind adding patina too .... and then I have a cheap beater for those times I’d feel uncomfortable wearing anything special

If you focus too much on its value, you won’t find any pleasure from it. I assume you realise of course you can’t just go into a Rolex dealer and get one ? Small issue of waiting lists etc
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

I know there's plenty of Seiko fanboys on here and I need some help authenticating this very rare beauty.
Normally I only buy Swiss, but been offered this apparently semi Cyrillic surreal
Seiko CHRONOERAFH SpeedTiner . Russian vendor says it's one of a kind. Opinions ?

“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

No idea about the Seiko, however if a seller says "it's one of a kind" that is something I would really doubt.

I wear a nice watch as often as possible (including in the garage and at work) and forget about the value, that's what they were made for.
If it's in the drawer not being used then what is the point of owning it?
Same goes with the cars, they're not ornaments! :wink:
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Hendrik Moulds wrote:No idea about the Seiko, however if a seller says "it's one of a kind" that is something I would really doubt.

I wear a nice watch as often as possible (including in the garage and at work) and forget about the value, that's what they were made for.
If it's in the drawer not being used then what is the point of owning it?
Same goes with the cars, they're not ornaments! :wink:
I have a tool watch that I wear when working around the house. The watch was supplied by a sticking sticking up grumpy git (with an orange car)

I would rather not put paint or oil on a nice watch.

I rotate out the others.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
alfietom
DDK slapper chatter

Post by alfietom »

My Daily Driver and my not so Daily Driver.....I wonder which one is which?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cQMsTb][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]P9214291 by Simon Peters, on Flickr[/url]

[urlImageImage-1 by Simon Peters, on Flickr][/url]
1973 Porsche 911T
2011 Porsche 997.2 Carrera 4S
2012 Boxster 981 - (Wifes Summer Drive)
2019 Renault Megane RS 300 Trophy
2021 Cupra Leon
2021 Alpine A110 GT
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

A good mate of mine was in Barcelona recently.

Had the 1983 Rolex Submariner that his dad bought him as a graduation gift expertly removed from his wrist by a couple of thieves (around Las Ramblas...) using well honed distraction techniques.

Not insured sadly....

Neither have a lot of money, and this is a big loss for them.

So am trying to help them locate one, for a reasonable price....so the father can give it to son for his forthcoming wedding present.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Jason on his way to the next rare watch deal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Post by Mike »

Loving the new Panerai Design Miami Luminor 1950 10 Days GMT Automatic Acciaio 44mm, not so sure on the name though.......

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

A shout out to Thomas and Jason for helping me with two separate watch problems!

Thomas located a bezel, at a very reasonable cost, that my son lost off his heuer 844 diver clone. (As an aside these clone heuers are like buying a 912 instead of a 911. It may be cheaper initially to purchase but the spares and labour are the same!)

Jason helped me sorting a military diver that didn't quiet come as described (not from Jason).

Use either with confidence!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bumped into this YouTube vid from 2014:
Watch types and values, thought it might be of interest.

https://youtu.be/ATAudjynAi0
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

That youtube made me smile, how sensible she was to get that appraisal. There must me many that need to ask advice on value.

I worked for several Swiss companies producing machine tools for the world wide watch industry and had the chance from the early 70's - 2007 to be involved in the sales of the machines until over here the quartz had such an effect on mechanical watches. Likewise in Switzerland, but they, managed to turn the situation around and even though some famous watch makes are part of large groups they continue to make super products.

So, when I retired and as the fine movements interested me, I thought why not buy a good watch to match the age of my car. I looked and bought an Omega 1962 Constellation black dial 561 cal. with stainless case and fitted with the Omega 7912 SS bracelet all dated. Price in 2007 was £375- The fact the watch is as original and in such fine condition never made me realise what a bargain this was. I have yet to see a better one. Also in the past 11 years correct me if I am wrong? the prices have changed dramatically upwards it seems to me.

So I have a watch that keeps good time, looks good in every way and does not it seems, lose money. I take it off when working on jobs in the garden, garage or house. The crystal still has its Omega logo so small in the centre to badly scratch the face would be such a shame.

Its like the car happy with it and enjoy both. Its me, that has the real interest in the watch and the 356. I suppose it a personal view that I like old things, that are well made. I have made sure my sons are aware valuations from the correct people are essential in the future, of both these items.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
964RS

Post by 964RS »

roy mawbey wrote:That youtube made me smile, how sensible she was to get that appraisal. There must me many that need to ask advice on value.
They get it very wrong sometimes too though....
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have no idea about classic watch prices, it was the USA version of The Antiques Road Show I think from 2014.
All a bit surprising such a stash was in a box in a desk and that you would seek valuation at such a place, but a chance to be on TV!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Rosh
DDK addict

Post by Rosh »

Hi all,

Just after recommendations with regard to having an IWC Pilot Chrono serviced. My watch has started losing a bit of time, and the case could do with a polish.

Apart from going with IWC themselves, has anyone any feedback to share with other 'watch service providers', such as watch finder etc?

Thanks in advance.

Rosh
1969 911T Coupe
1980 911SC Coupe
1979 308GTS