Rod Emory

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Rod Emory

Post by neilbardsley »

Anybody else follow Rod's posts on instagram? He makes some very cool cars. He is now offering special flat 4 emory branded engine (I assume polo derivative that he has been using for a while) and disc brakes that looks like drum brakes. You can't buy them. They only come on his car. I will have to assume that the quality and workmanship are super. I just wonder what is the difference between a kit 356 and a Rod special? Apart from a few hundred thousand dollars.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: Rod Emory

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Rod - & before him his father Gary - have been involved in building 356 'oulaws'* & 'specials' (& building/restoring lots of other Porsches) for ~ 40+ years.

In fact it's generally accepted that Gary Emory is responsible for the term 'outlaw' when applied to 356's (I think it was his nickname at one stage).

Gary set up Parts Obsolete & was one of the main 356 people back when they were just old/unwanted (& obsolete) Porsches.

His creations are revered/respected worldwide & he's had many high profile customers.

There is simply no comparison between a car built by Rod (or his father) & a 356 'kit car' ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Rod - & before him his father Gary - have been involved in building 356 'oulaws'* & 'specials' (& building/restoring lots of other Porsches) for ~ 40+ years.

In fact it's generally accepted that Gary Emory is responsible for the term 'outlaw' when applied to 356's (I think it was his nickname at one stage).

Gary set up Parts Obsolete & was one of the main 356 people back when they were just old/unwanted (& obsolete) Porsches.

His creations are revered/respected worldwide & he's had many high profile customers.

There is simply no comparison between a car built by Rod (or his father) & a 356 'kit car' ...
I'm aware of all of the history and the quality. They restored No 46! I would love to drive one of his creations.

However, once you start changing the shape, putting a special engine and brakes etc you have moved from a 356 to an Emory car. Is it a Porsche anymore than a fiber glass body with a vw engine built a super high standard. For example, your old 904 special v an Emory porsche?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think the main difference is that there is a direct link back to Porsche - they either start with a Porsche & then modify it or build a Special using Porsche components.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

The Americans have a tradition of building Hotrods and often over there, they fetch more than standard cars. They’re highly prized and part of their culture.

Here it isn’t the same and modified cars, even well done ones can be difficult to sell and sometimes even to register. It’s more of a lottery.
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

neilbardsley wrote:However, once you start changing the shape, putting a special engine and brakes etc you have moved from a 356 to an Emory car. Is it a Porsche anymore than a fiber glass body with a vw engine built a super high standard.
So, very much like Kremer & Ruf; now classed as manufacturers in their own right.
Or, perhaps like Beutler in the early days.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

I'd always assumed Emory cars were metal, hence the cost. These look like they are metal not GRP, but happy to be corrected if this isn't the general rule.

http://deuscustoms.com/blog/shop-rod-emory/

I rather like them. Though agree the custom / hot rodding passion seems to be a bit of a US thing.

Phil
Phil

1960 356B Silver
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

They’re metal.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

The first Porsche was a shed-built body with modified VW running gear, no?
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Rod - & before him his father Gary

In addition to Gary and Rod - there was also Gary`s Dad (Rod`s Grandfather) so they have been around awhile

Gary`s company was originally called `Porsche Parts Obsolete` but the Porsche Lawyers put paid to that
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com