Which Engine Oil?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Re: Which Engine Oil?

Post by Kenyon »

I always find the oil, plugs, tyres threads interesting. You can at least have a read and take a view.

In fact I followed one, think it was 356 Registry and someone was talking about Marvel Mystery Oil. Seems to be useful all sorts of engine ailments. Anyone used this? I'm not just going to throw it in for no reason but its definitely a catchy name!!

Phil.
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I’d trust Porsche’s recommendations and I’m sure their Classic oil is fine, but for me there’s that little niggle because a fully synthetic oil will be better still. When BMW tested an early 328 for a million miles in the seventies, they announced that Mobil 1 virtually eliminated wear and Rolls-Roys said the same of Esso Ultron. Porsche put Mobil in my Boxster.

Here’s Mobil’s take on the 10w60 I use in the Healey and the 356C

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passen ... il-1-10W60
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Ashley James wrote:I’d trust Porsche’s recommendations and I’m sure their Classic oil is fine, but for me there’s that little niggle because a fully synthetic oil will be better still. When BMW tested an early 328 for a million miles in the seventies, they announced that Mobil 1 virtually eliminated wear and Rolls-Roys said the same of Esso Ultron. Porsche put Mobil in my Boxster.

Here’s Mobil’s take on the 10w60 I use in the Healey and the 356C

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passen ... il-1-10W60
What looks like a good oil too. After I've finished the 20l of the stuff I bought already I may try it.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

All these discussions are really just opinion.all you can say with certainty is that a fully synthetic oil formulated for the same job as a mineral equivalent will perform better and might extend engine life, by pass oil and air filters permitting.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ashley James wrote:All these discussions are really just opinion.all you can say with certainty is that a fully synthetic oil formulated for the same job as a mineral equivalent will perform better and might extend engine life, by pass oil and air filters permitting.
I will wonder how I can as a DIYer measure the performance of an oil. The only think that I could think of was to try to weight the fur on my magnetic after each oil change. I'm not sure that I can do that practically but ...
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'd just pick one you're happy with and drive
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
mycar

Post by mycar »

Sage advice indeed.

And more sage advice from the 356 Drivers Manual...
Porsche 356 Drivers Manual wrote: Always use the same brand of oil as was already in the engine. If this is not possible, the engine must be flushed with the new brand before filling.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

mycar wrote:Sage advice indeed.

Porsche 356 Drivers Manual wrote: Always use the same brand of oil as was already in the engine. If this is not possible, the engine must be flushed with the new brand before filling.
That is your first useful post on this thread!!
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Yet Mobil 1 say you can switch from mineral to synthetic or top up if you have to without worry. Most of us probably have over time.
mycar

Post by mycar »

neilbardsley wrote:
mycar wrote:Sage advice indeed.

That is your first useful post on this thread!!
Don't bother me now Neil, I'm weighing the fur on my magnet as per your recommendation.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

mycar wrote:[Don't bother me now Neil, I'm weighing the fur on my magnet as per your recommendation.
You could try to weight the fur on his chin instead!

anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

I’ve been running this for the last 18 months https://millersoilsireland.ie/cfs-10w60-nt/
No mentions here?
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
356Monkey
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356Monkey »

Million thanks to all of you, I thought I might get a few answers but seems it's a bigger topic that I'd imagined. I was keen to get it right as my engine cost a 5 figure sum to rebuild (which is not unusual) so I'm keen to minimise wear. as I spoke to Paul at PRS as they built my engine (which is fabulous) and as per Mikes advice he favours Valvoline so I've gone for that. I certainly agree that regular changes are money well spent.

Feel free to add any more thoughts - and thanks Mike for getting stuck in to the thread.
1964 Porsche 356c (RHD)
1957 Vespa GS 150 VS3
1960 Vespa GS 150 VS5
1960 Lambretta Li125
1963 Lambretta Li150 series 3
1962 Lambretta TV175
1966 Lambretta SX200
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It's always a good idea to use the oil recommended by your engine builder ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Well based on the comment from Ashley and looking at the Mobil 1 information I have taken the plunge and just changed the oil in my 911 for Mobil 1 10W60 full synthetic oil. I will let you know if it all ends up on the garage floor. If it does you are in trouble Ashley :lol:

Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio