Spa Francorchamps - suggestions

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Spa Francorchamps - suggestions

Post by 70sThrowback »

I am off to the Bug Show at Spa in a couple of weeks and am looking for any recommendations for the route, or in general from those who have been before.

I am taking the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and have a spare day either side, so looking to take a scenic detour each way. So if anyone has any recommendations of routes, or places to see in the area please let me know.

Many thanks
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Spa Francorchamps - suggestions

Post by gridgway »

My only recommendation is to hug the old pit wall on the right, get a nice wide sweeping entry to Eau Rouge and keep your foot in...
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

:) unfortunately the only driving we will be allowed to do is limited to 10 mph as a parade.
Jonny

Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

We did this trip about 12 years ago and spent a fabulous week after meandering back through Belgian campsites, brilliant fun.

Ghent is a lovely town to visit, if you do be sure to pop into this place http://www.dullegriet.be/en/

We stopped at a really great campsite near by but can't for the life of me remember the name now, all I can remember was that it was huge and had very good facilities including buses every 10 minutes into Ghent.

Hope you have a great trip.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I went last year with my two teenage sons. We took a load of old parts to sell in the lane behind the pit garages and had a great time. They do a lot more than 10mph in some of the parades plus they had a jet car out there too. The people are great too

The main problem is with the facilities which are dire. Think Donnington or Silverstone 30 years ago. The food and drink on site is contracted to one company and its utter shite. You can't even buy a bottle of water anywhere, let alone anything fresh. There is a bar in a wooden shed behind the old pit garages that OK-ish. There is also a restaurant at the top of the new pits building but its slow and expensive.

My advice is to take a good coolbox or two and stock up at a big super market en route. There's nothing in the nearby towns either so don't rely on those.

And don't forget your own bog roll!
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Been to SPA many times for the Sept Enduro 6 hours, out of this world event.

Facilities are poor! :shock:
Last year we stayed right in the town of SPA but preferred one of the hotels around the area, the Town is crowded.
I would get booked up PDQ.
Don't rush to get out of Belgium, much to see that is quality.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

There's not much in the way of shops / bars in Franchorchamps and the food at the track is pretty much just OK. Better than Donington Park in the late 80s, marginally. Best bet is the Pit Bar Restaurant - its a buffet with a confusing token system.

The Ad Delhaize Spa on the N62 west of Spa itself is decent. Unsurprisingly very good selection of beers.

https://www.delhaize.be/fr-be/storedeta ... e=10048900
Phil

1960 356B Silver
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Thanks chaps. Booked into a hotel Thursday night in Spa. Friday and Saturday I will be in the campervan at the track, I did ask and Porsche's are not allowed, which is fair enough I guess, it is a VW show after all.

Good shout on the cool box, with electric hook up my cool box won't last long off the leisure battery, but can fill it with ice.

will remember toilet roll!
Jonny