Cab or coupe

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

takeflight
DDK above all

Cab or coupe

Post by takeflight »

Hi All

If you had a choice, would you go cab or Coupé ?

Can only afford one. Went to Silverstone yesterday some stunning coupes, I see those and think Coupé then I look at cabs with the top down and my heart goes cab.

Roy
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Cab or coupe

Post by mycar »

It’s a tricky conundrum no doubt but if you consider that the mechanicals, electrics and engines can be pretty much the same in both the coupe and cab it all comes down to aesthetics and coupes are just more beautiful than cabs.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

For me, it would have to be a cab. Still remember trundling aground the lanes as a passenger in 58 cab many years ago . A 356 cab is one of the few cars I often toy with swapping the 2.4S for
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Coupe!
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I’d far rather drive and open top car, I almost always drive the Boxster and the Healey roof down, but I do prefer the look of the coupe and couldn’t have afforded a cabriolet at the time.

Ideally I’d like a sunshine roof, I’m contemplating asking Adam Wright if it’s something he can sell me while the car’s in the paint shop.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

As someone who has owned both (and still does), I would go cab. But not a Speedster/Roadster as they are pretty leaky.
A good cab will be pretty weather proof, certainly as much as some of the coupes I've owned.
However, it does depend on the model you want and how much you are willing to spend. :wink:
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Watched Jay Leno last night cruising through Santa Clarita with Siegfeld in his unrestored blue cab. So nice in the So Cal sunshine, so it has to be Cab even if Summer here might not last as long as theirs.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Both nice but for me, its the coupe as the side view is perfect on my 'A' model. The flowing lines are so well placed the hood takes the perfect image away for me. However of course in seven weeks of hot weather and vinyl seating together with no sunshine roof its not so comfortable as with wind in your hair.

I do like the side view of the speedster though as well. The windscreen angle and back area look great.

I also prefer the 'A' shape with the rounded front wings. I also owned a 356C coupe and in the 70's used to think which one looks the best. Good points on the 'C' but the 'A' coupe still wins out with its classic shape.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Hendrik - As someone who has owned both (and still does), I would go cab. But not a Speedster/Roadster as they are pretty leaky.
A good cab will be pretty weather proof, certainly as much as some of the coupes I've owned.
However, it does depend on the model you want and how much you are willing to spend.

Eeee! but thou does ave t`be northern ard
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I had a TR3 which was wetter with the roof up than down and difficult to steer with side screens fitted. The doors are cut away for a reason. What it taught me is that with a hat, scarf, coat and sometimes gloves, motoring is way more pleasant even in rain and that you sleep better if you’re out in the open. I rode considerable distances on motorcycles for years where the same applies.

This doesn’t apply to mid summer on the continent when all the windows open in a light coloured coupe makes better sense.

I love my little 356C and I think you tend to prefer what you’re used to. Those who had an early analogue Sky satellite receiver may have seen proof of this in the shape of late night programs where viewers had sent in pictures of their wives.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I am somewhat confused, we have a gentleman who likes to sleep in a wet TR3, subscribes to analogue Sky and watches late night progs of other chaps wives. I really think I've lost something along the way here. Do I need help or should I just go back out into the garage.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I could have worded it better. I find that I sleep better after a long drive in an open car.

Long ago before Sky went digital the analogue satellite receivers you used would also receive an Italian TV station that devoted late nights to broadcasting “glamour” images of viewer’s wives or girlfriends. These were a subject for discussion in the factory where I worked and I gather they were pretty grim. I don’t doubt their boyfriends or husbands loved them and thought them beautiful as we do our favourite cars. Though in both cases we might be mistaken.

I sounds as though contributors to this thread may have missed this program. Life can be cruel.
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

Ashley James wrote:I could have worded it better. I find that I sleep better after a long drive in an open car.

Long ago before Sky went digital the analogue satellite receivers you used would also receive an Italian TV station that devoted late nights to broadcasting “glamour” images of viewer’s wives or girlfriends. These were a subject for discussion in the factory where I worked and I gather they were pretty grim. I don’t doubt their boyfriends or husbands loved them and thought them beautiful as we do our favourite cars. Though in both cases we might be mistaken.

I sounds as though contributors to this thread may have missed this program. Life can be cruel.
I suppose I could retitle, are you a boobs or bum man.
But at my age and being very sad I prefer to ougul 356,s
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

A quality thread
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

takeflight wrote:
Ashley James wrote:I could have worded it better. I find that I sleep better after a long drive in an open car.

I suppose I could retitle, are you a boobs or bum man.
But at my age and being very sad I prefer to ougul 356,s
Me too and I don’t think it matters whether you prefer boobs of bums, it’s more a case of getting used to what you have and considering it more beautiful than anything else. We tend to like and prefer what we are used to.

Not all of us though. Prince Charles likes Poundbury and Jonathan Meade’s describes it as a Thomas Hardy theme park for slow learners.