What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by 23e Heure »

With the weather forecast looking Scorchio, I took the day off work today, and used it to limber up for Le Mans Classic.

A couple of weeks ago I had taken the GT over to Stephen (defianty) near Southend.
I still had a bunch of small jobs I wanted to get done on the car and, with work keeping me out of the country more than in it, I just wasn't going to get them done myself.
If you're following Stephen's GT build thread , you'll know just how sharp his attention to detail is. so who better to ask to help me get the list completed :wink:

So at the crack of dawn I got the train over to his place in Essex, and we both set off on a proper "boys' day out"

Our first stop was on the Essex-Cambridgeshire borders, where I have been keeping the RS. Whilst there we popped in to see my 89 year old nan.
In return for coffee, she wanted to take the GT for a spin! Looks like Stephen would be more comfortable with her driving than my own!

Stephen was happy to drive the RS... Not often I have the chance to get both cars on the road together: what a buzz to see this in the mirror in the morning sun...

Our next blatt took us back into Essex, and then over the Suffolk border, to see Adam at MP, who had kindly offered to tune the carbs on the GT for me:

It's always a pleasure to spend time with Lee and his team... and the cars that they have there too of course 8)
This one might look familiar to the DDK massive:

Stephen hadn't been here before, the look on his face says it all :lol:

With both cars now running in rorty fashion, we took to the Suffolk lanes. Too busy watching for oncoming traffic to get any action shots.

We paused for a while and pondered: Which car should go to Le Mans this time?

Decisions...

...decisions...

After lunch on the picturesque green in Hartest, suddenly it became clear: Take both, of course! :cheers:

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Great looking cars James . I’ve never bee. To MP either, some great and recognisable cars there 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

I'll take the green one then!
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Not far from me then James!
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Put another 80 miles on the 67S 8)

Image67S by Garry Hall, on Flickr
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

^ Looks Ok I suppose.

:wink:

On a rather more pedestrian note I fitted a 6v high level led brake light to the back of the car.

You'd hardly notice it behind the grille.

And it works nicely from a distance....

jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Drove down to Cornwall to see the setting sun and then drove back again
Some nice roads in the wilds of Devon and Cornwall
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

After being inspired by the John's build and tuning of an engine (http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... stand.html). Then being able to balance a coin on the fan housing while the motor idled I decided to tune my engine.

The valves gaps were fine and never seem to go out of spec. the dwell angle was a bit low 42 degrees so I lessen the gap and got closer to 50 degrees. The max advance was as I've left it. About 34 degrees. All the carb barrel flows were in balance so I tweaked the mixture screws a bit and all was good.

In fact the car run so quickly over to Leamington Spa, that evening, that I lost a wheel hub! Wheel hub corrected from the pavement but a bit scratched :(

Since fixing the rear wheel problem the car is holding the road well so perhaps I'm becoming a bit too confident.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Mike has rsr spec engine fitted -
Going to have to upgrade the ignition set up,but want to keep the original look,ie-cdi boxes,and coils.Don't mind leaving existing cdi's and coils as dummies,if new system could be discretely fitted elsewhere.Any ideas/recommendations would be gratefully accepted.
Last edited by brembo on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

First, a question, how the heck to you get to post such humungous great pics. My little box brownie spits them out at about 4000 pixels but then I have to edit them down to around 6 or 700 pixels to have them accepted. Oh well.
And what I did to my Porsche today was remove the personal registration plates from my C4S as they are to be re-allocated onto my new (new to me) car. I'm chopping in the water cooled one for an air cooled one, goodbye 997 C4S, hello Carrera 3.2 turbo look SSE. I'll be picking it up tomorrow so I better get a couple of large JD's down me or I won't be sleeping much tonight. I'm soooo excited!!
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Ignatzcatz wrote:First, a question, how the heck to you get to post such humungous great pics.
Haven't got a clue how that happened. Sorted,(hopefully), now.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

73T Substantially Modified went to the MoT this morning, and flew through with zero probs.
His only complaint about the car was it was difficult to get out of with the roll cage in!

Chatted with the old skool tester/owner about the whole MoT exemption ma-larky, who was well aware of the changes, but said he had seen many of his old customers as usual in classics.
They all said they would be carrying on as usual.

Anyway, clear for another year. :)

It continues to be a great car, I've had it for 29 years, modified for 27.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Pre-booked my place in the Sunday Breakfast Classic Car Hub meeting and cruised there in the 911 today.
Car ran a dream despite the stinking hot weather. Lack of wheel wobble down the motorways has now transformed the drivability of the car, the steering is a real '911' experience again, lovely.

220 car turn-out. Really nice place, first time for me and so glad to go there. Get yourself booked in for the next one.
Bacon cobs to die for, nice people and some fantastic cars, wide variety, something for everyone.

Want #1

Imageclick image upload

Want #2

Imageimage sharing sites

Amazing!

In-your-face

Imagetake a screenshot
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Changed the oil and dropped the slump in my 912. I felt it needed it after the tour. However, maybe more wear is chases from my lots of short drives. I managed to cross one of the nuts putting the slump plate back on :(

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Back at it today. Changed the dizzy cap, took the left carb off and used lockite on two threads, put a correct cheese head bolt in for the one I had to buy in France, checked a spark plug and replaced a electric connector and covered in tape. ImageImageImage

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk