Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

DEEMAN
DDK forever

Re: Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Post by DEEMAN »

It's coming on fine Matt. The fits seem really good. Great to see your progression.

Ian
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Guten Abend zusammen,

Its been far far far to long since my last update - however today was a milestone as "Lucy" has been removed from the rotisserie.

Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Some more

Oil line brackets

Oil cooler

Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

AN10 oil line

Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

So to the details of the last six months:

Engine - The original 912 engine was sent to Ahendorp BAS for assesment - conclusion: Over 20K € required to bring the engine back into specification. Issues included cracked cylinder heads, cracked crank case, worn rockers (250 € each from Porsche), worn oil pump requiring oversize gears, the list went on and on. Whilst I was very happy with the service at Ahendorp there was no way that Mrs B was going to sanction over 20K on an engine in one hit - so options we thought.......

I then realised that a Porsche 914 / 912e engine would fit in without too much hassle and having done some reasearch on line in the Sates I have decided to install the following.

2,2 litre Porsche 914 engine - 130 bhp with a fat torque curve from 1500 to 4500 rpm. In oter words - perfect for the 100 kph German roads that I will be driving uon. The spec includes - 914 heads, 44mm inlet, 38mm exhaust, with better spark plug angle. Heads ported and flowed. 911 cooling fan. Lightened cam followers allowing single (lighter) valve springs. All 100% new componentry. New forged con rods with ARP bolts fasteners. Ported and matched inlet manifolds. All parts dynamically balanced.

All in the 914 2,2 will cost less than 8,500 € with higher performance and durability.

From the purists perspective I am sure my decsion will ruffle some feathers - however all of the chassis modifications (if any) for the 914 are reversable and my intention is to bring the 912 engine back to life over a couple of years. In the meantime I can get Lucy up and running with the "Strassenmotor" safe in the knowledge that my original and valuable 912 engine is safe sat at home.

Chassis - 85% there - just need to fit and gap the front wings which will easier on the floor rather than high up on a rotisserie. My aim is into paint the end of the year....

Thanks for looking

Matt
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

Coming along nicely this, good job, keep it coming!
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all:

Some more pictures from the weekend.

The black Dansk wings profile wise are fairly accurate compared to the OE wings - however the fit of the headlamps leaves a lot to be desired. This is going to need some thinking about - but basically I have probably discovered six weeks worth of extra work. I probably need to move the headlight buckets back by 2-3mm - not easy as the welds are inaccessable.

Also the Dansk rear bumpers and mid section needed a lot of adjustment. In some cases there was a 5mm difference - I found it easier to drill out the spot welds and position correctly before re-welding.

However I am really pleased with the fit now:

I have found that making up some guages from plastic strips is easier than a ruler or vernier....

I will try and updae more often from now on as its getting exciting puuting "big" bits on.

Engine is also ordered and underway.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

So,

Once again far far too long since my last post, will try and get my finger out and upload more often, but.......

Scuttle repair piece from a G model cut and shipped from the USA - were getting there slow n sure.

Blasted

Mirrors on........

Aerial n all

914 engine due in November.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Good evening all - been way way to long since the last post.

I have been busy over the last year with the engine. Anyone care to guess which direction we've gone in.....answers on a 50 Euro note please.

Have a week off planned to get the chassis finished and ready for paint......
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Quite an up date!
Looks very good, hope the rest goes well.
Update more often! :wink:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9