Project Blue Book

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Project Blue Book

Post by LMR »

Rotisserie was £430 in 2016. Agree it is very easy to rotate on your own - I also have no mates!

But worth its weight in gold :-) There is no way I would have had the patience to get to the standard I have if I had been working on axle stands alone - but I have a low attention span too. chief is taking attention to detail to a frighteningly impressive level! Also, take a look at defiantly’s resto thread for attention to detail
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Post by RichardJ »

I've been following all three of those threads thanks. They' re very inspiring and useful to me, with my 914 being the first I have ever had or worked on. Especially going from no experience apart from a 1 day welding course to restoration perfection win less than one project car (defianty, I think - it's been a while since I read the beginning of these threads) - he obviously has a natural talent for bodywork repairs! I've been welding for 25 years (hobby), 14 of which have been occasionally professional welding (maybe 2 days a month), and there is no way I can see my 'hell hole' repairs ending up as neat as some of the threads on here! I'm very out of touch with bodywork welding, having not done any for about 10 years. I have mig and tig, but will definitely need some practice butt welding thin stuff! I do have a much better mig than I had the last time I did any bodywork, so maybe it'll go better than I'm imagining.
I agree, the hell holes in particular look daunting enough without having to crawl around under a shell on axle stands. I have at least half a floor pan to replace too, and there is nothing worse than doing it overhead with sparks dropping down your neck. Hence why I think it's worth me investing in a rotisserie. I really want to make my own, and may still end up doing so, but if you take the time into account, the ones on ebay are quite good value. The only problem is when I look at them I pick up on a some features of each that I like, others I'm not so keen on, and then start thinking about how I'd modify them so they take up less space when stored, or how I could convert them into engine stands when not restoring a body shell, etc. I ought to just pick one, order it, and spend the time working on the car.
Restoring 914's seems to be a solo passtime then!
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Richard,
It sounds to me like you are doing yourself an injustice there sunshine!
Welding at your level should prove invaluable with this project. For what it's worth, I would just buy a rotisserie and sell it on once you have finished the project. The amount of hours these cars can swollow up is suprising! There will be plenty of smaller body work projects to do without having to make tricky panels or shaping so you will pick up speed and confidence very quickly I am sure. I think you have to keep it fun so it doesn't become a chore and you loose the love for the car. I have picked fun interesting jobs and interspersed them with the grotty grindy jobs to keep my interest and my chin up! To me I have to be thinking that the weekend can't come around quick enough to get back on it. I then know i'm going about it the right way. The tricky bit coming up for me is the extended wheel arch flare into the cills. I keep plodding with all the other stuff with this at the back of my mind. I am sure when I get around to it, I shall be keen and have a good idea of which way to head.
And finally, yes, we are a lonely bunch. However some of us on here have found each other and can cry into our coffee together! It's at this point you realise you are not on your own and can call yourself 'Billy few mates!'........
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Richard, thanks for the comments. chief, has it spot on there with how to keep going and making sure it remains fun. I won't lie there're times when as much as I want the car finished I find it exceedingly hard to muster some motivation to get on to some of the mundane jobs.

As you know I learnt from scratch on this car and boy have I made some mistakes. But I expected that, I learnt from them, I improved and carried on. It sounds like you're more than capable to do this and just need to get out there and bite the bullet.

Despite having great Porsche friends, unfortunately they aren't local and 99.9% of the car has been done my me, on my own. However I bore those same friends almost daily with progress updates and photos and they keep me going.

Also make sure you do a thread about your build on DDK - chief, LMR, myself and others will help you along. We can all be Billy few mates!
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
hot66

Post by hot66 »

love the current 914 builds 8) ... but , more importantly , we should have a day to get them together when they're finished and on the road. Maybe 2019 ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

hot66 wrote:love the current 914 builds 8) ... but , more importantly , we should have a day to get them together when they're finished and on the road. Maybe 2019 ?
50th Anniversary isn't it???
I'm aiming for then..................puts on coat and slopes off shaking head slowly from sided to side muttering "Sure, sure no problem with that deadline!" :lol:
defianty

Post by defianty »

chief wrote:[
Yep, started making the 70MY in 69 so it should be. I'm hoping Classics at the Castle do something to celebrate next year. I hope to have mine almost complete by the end of this year so hopefully a Spring debut. *crosses fingers :lol:
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

hot66 wrote:love the current 914 builds 8)

Totally agree!
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
hot66

Post by hot66 »

defianty wrote:
chief wrote:[
Yep, started making the 70MY in 69 so it should be. I'm hoping Classics at the Castle do something to celebrate next year. I hope to have mine almost complete by the end of this year so hopefully a Spring debut. *crosses fingers :lol:
we should have a ddk get together somewhere ... even if its a few tents in afield . Back to the good old days of big DDK get togethers 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

James,
I'm not sure if any of us are going to be up to camping after these restoration stroke hotrod projects are complete. My back has had it already.....maybe a spar break :lol:
hot66

Post by hot66 »

.. I was testing the water ;) ... I don't do camping either anymore apart from clm :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Well a fancy spa break to all meet up it is then :3some: :lol:
defianty

Post by defianty »

I don't go for all that pampering stuff :lol:

This is my idea of a 'Spa' weekend! http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/agen ... pa-classic
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Hey, I saw your fancy pants beard on another forum. You sir know all about pampering!!!!!
defianty

Post by defianty »

chief wrote:Hey, I saw your fancy pants beard on another forum. You sir know all about pampering!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims