Tr Register Castle Combe Track Day...

Here you will find an archive of previous Porsche Events and other car related events

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, drummerboytom, abm914

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Tr Register Castle Combe Track Day...

Post by Darren65 »

I had an invite from a friend to join the TR Register Castle Combe track day this week, grim weather but a great day out.....

....a few photos of a very slippery morning session when the track was like an ice rink......

....felt for this poor chap after he hit the tyre wall :( .....

....some great looking cars....

....had a good chat with this chap who came to pick up a customers car for work.....

....Alec is an ex-pro rally driver who now prepares race and other cars for private clients. A really nice guy....loved his story of when driving for Fiat he was asked to race a Lancia Delta S4 in the last RAC Group B supercar rally back in 86 as a recce car that fed tyre information back the main drivers; unfortunately the recce cars were banned at the last moment and he didn't get to race but he did get a weeks testing in the S4 8) .....

....he also owned and raced a genuine 2.7RS lightweight back in the late 70's as well as racing other Porsches. He happened to have a few photos in his van, anyone know the cars?....

....a heavy downpour just after lunch had many calling it a day which left the track pretty empty in the afternoon and although still a wet circuit with standing water compromising the lines the drying conditions gave an opportunity to have a bit more fun :) ....a lap of Castle Combe video link....

https://youtu.be/w8DutlvCevA

...a great day out and a bunch of friendly welcoming unpretentious people who didn't once mention car values! :wink: .....they even gave me a nice photo....

....so much fun I was practically the last man standing! :)

DDK needs an event like this 8)

Cheers,
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: Tr Register Castle Combe Track Day...

Post by 23e Heure »

Cool post, Dazzler.
Looks like a super day, even if a little soggy !
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Some good commitment there Darren :) . You flat shifting ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Nice work Darren ..... agree, a classic 911 trackday would be great. Anglesey ..... ?
The force is strong in this one ......
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:.... You flat shifting ?....
.....not especially, just good ratios and a sweet shifting Mike Bainbridge box :)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

yoda wrote:Nice work Darren ..... agree, a classic 911 trackday would be great. Anglesey ..... ?
....never been to Anglesey but a central(ish) location would be good with a hotel close by to make a night of it too......a nice relaxed, no pressure day where people can drive as fast or as slow as they wish.

Sounds like a plan for 2019 8) .......we'll have to get James on the case! :wink:

Cheers,
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Excellent, looked like a fun day. I hope to get my TR6 back on the road after the 914 is complete.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Darren65 wrote:
yoda wrote:Nice work Darren ..... agree, a classic 911 trackday would be great. Anglesey ..... ?
....never been to Anglesey but a central(ish) location would be good with a hotel close by to make a night of it too......a nice relaxed, no pressure day where people can drive as fast or as slow as they wish.

Sounds like a plan for 2019 8) .......we'll have to get James on the case! :wink:

Cheers,
I have some some contacts at MSV and they have recently acquired Donington which is a great track and location. If there is interest, I can make some enquiries. We would need a reasonable number of cars to make the costs work and it would be great if it was all DDK. I could probably also organise some more modern cars for people who wanted to try things out for a few laps (Caterham, Lambo, GT3 etc).

Main issue I foresee is that my insurance (and probably others) only covers me for “Club” organised days so I would have to convince them DDK was a club like PCGB (perish the thought).

Would be good to gauge interest and I can get some details.
The force is strong in this one ......
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Sounds similar to the day I had at rockingham a couple of weekends ago - wet start, dry middle then when it started raining around 4:30 everyone left except me and a ginetta.. we were sliding about in the rain for the last hour until the marshals called time!

Re: ddk track day - I’d be interested too. I have a friend who organises a track day at rockingham every year, can get some details if there’s interest? Easy to get to, fun technical track, great viewing points and generous noise limits ;)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Ps - I think the “club” thing insurers refer to might relate to clubs having public liability insurance..
Would be worth checking with a few insurers but I’m thinking if that IS the reason it has to be organised by a recognised club then it could be got around by taking out a single event policy or even paying the track to “use their cover”? Either way could be rolled into the cost per person
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

One other thing - have a contact for a company (magnitude events) who deal with blyton
You can pay them and they will sort the entire day
Cost is about 5500 for blyton park mid summer, so wouldn’t be cheap if we had say 20 people BUT there would only be 20 people

Will see if I can find some similar info for rockingham
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Click to view....

jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Looking great mate!

Was watching the video at Lunchtime with headphones turned all the way up 8)
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks Chris.....I need to get around to condensing 14 hours of Alps video into 5 minutes, some pretty neat footage there.

Just wish I had your skills! :wink:

Cheers,