Steel Wheel Re-spray

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

GonzoBard
DDK addict

Steel Wheel Re-spray

Post by GonzoBard »

I had a set of steel wheels re-sprayed some years ago. A couple of them are showing signs of deterioration (radial cracking of the paint) so I may have them re-done. What colour / paint code would have been originally used (a ‘66 car)?
3gauges
DDK Newbie

Re: Steel Wheel Re-spray

Post by 3gauges »

I understand that the Wurth silver is very close to the original Porsche silver color used on the factory steel wheels
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wurth-German-A ... B001MPSTM8
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Many thanks, I’ll look it up.
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

if you have any issues getting any thing from Wurth let me know my mate is the Southern Main Rep.
I personally would paint the wheels with 2pk paint but that silver in the can is I understand the same as BMW use. I would need to check that but I remember him saying some thing on the lines of this before.
funny I have only just come from him this afternoon with some new Tools.. Well it's Friday Tool new tool day :lol: and picked up a tin of silver for some other stuff i am doing.. Certainly didn't pay £13 !! :shock: for tin.
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

OK, thanks. Has anyone run / seen any colour other than silver on steel wheels? My car is light ivory - I did wonder whether a grey might look a little trick?
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

black...? but a flat Gray would look ok.. ( non metalic ) personal choice and nothing that can't be undone.
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Not so keen on black. I went for RAL 7045, which is very close to the RAL7004 that was used on 356s. It is OK, just about to put the wheels back on the car. I think I should have gone for a dark grey but you are right, not the end of the world to do it again at a latter date. I had my spare done at the same time, turns out it’s 5.5, not a 4.5 like the rest, so I shall need to have another of my wheels done and flog the 5.5 that I’ve needlessly had sprayed. I didn’t think to check......... They all now have new tyres on, so should be much smarter (and safer than using old rubber).