rear springs

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Re: rear springs

Post by Dean.s »

Thanks for all the input.

I have gone with kyb partly because of budget but also because i like a firm ride espescially where spirited driving is concerned.

But i have those tiddly little springs fitted and they now only measure 370mm in open length. No wonder the back end was dragging like a sack of spuds!
1974 Porsche 914
KAS.750
DDK addict

Post by KAS.750 »

Dean.s wrote:Thanks for all the input.

I have gone with kyb partly because of budget but also because i like a firm ride espescially where spirited driving is concerned.

But i have those tiddly little springs fitted and they now only measure 370mm in open length. No wonder the back end was dragging like a sack of spuds!
Where did you get the springs and shocks from Dean?
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

I bought my shocks from fmp in port talbot (my local motor factors & paint suppliers). The springs are an experiment (or short term fix) which i got from another local factors.

I'll update furthet once i have assembled and tested.
1974 Porsche 914
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

The one side is fitted and it sits a lot nicer for a street car in my opinion.

Went to do the other side today (pouring with rain outside) drove out of the garage to turn the car around. Got onto the drive and it cut out, no it wouldn't restart so i had to push it around!

Then on with the remaining shock. To start with the top nut would not budge and ended up chewing up the flat grip part. Out with the fbh and chisel for a bit of persuasion. It worked to well as the collar that is welded to the car also popped off. One step forward three steps back!

The existing spring on this side measured 365mm and the shock although leaking returned to its' full position by itself. The one i took off the other side is still fully closed.

On the plus side the kyb 551004's (silver ones) and the suplex springs (473mm) give a much nicer stance. When i get it started again i'll test it over the cobbles to see how they feel.
1974 Porsche 914
KAS.750
DDK addict

Post by KAS.750 »

Nice one.I look forward to an update.
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

914 KEV wrote: I know of one 914 owner on here that his spring/shock set up is way too hard for his wife’s back that she won’t get in his 914 and he turns up at 914 events with his wife in a Triumph stag!
]
:hello2: :hello2:

Just about to go out to the garage to change my springs now. Think I have a set of std ones in stock.
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

jonat127 wrote:
914 KEV wrote: I know of one 914 owner on here that his spring/shock set up is way too hard for his wife’s back that she won’t get in his 914 and he turns up at 914 events with his wife in a Triumph stag!
]

Just about to go out to the garage to change my springs now. Think I have a set of std ones in stock.
Out of interest, what rate were the one's your wife wasn't keen on?
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

defianty wrote:
jonat127 wrote:
]

Out of interest, what rate were the one's your wife wasn't keen on?
There is a bit of print on them that says GPR165 and they are 350mm long
1970 914-6 conversion
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Hi Jon, if the are the same springs on the car when you bought it from me, they are '165's. Regards, Rob
Porsche 914-6 (2.4E on Webers)
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

Robster wrote:Hi Jon, if the are the same springs on the car when you bought it from me, they are '165's. Regards, Rob
Yes Rob they are.
I am “softening up” the car to see if I can persuade my wife to come out in it with me and as a trial for my six build.
1970 914-6 conversion
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Hi Jon, from recollection IMHO the car handled great, but was certainly firm, so A good move. I took the banger out the other day- roads which a 'modern' glides over had me picking up my fillings out of the passenger footwell LOL
Porsche 914-6 (2.4E on Webers)
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Having driven around the estate, and over some rough cobbles these springs/shocks don't seem very hard. My back has been quite bad lately so there's a gauge by which to review the feel. I never did get an answer about the spring rating though.
1974 Porsche 914