Seats

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

GonzoBard
DDK addict

Seats

Post by GonzoBard »

I'm planning to refurbish the interior of my 1966 912. My existing seats require a re-build - I think they are later seats, i.e. late 1960s, rather than 66 seats. I might want to replace them with buckets, partly for the look but also for weight reduction. There appear to be a number of suppliers of these, Cobra are the least expensive I've found, whilst the Worldwide Classic seats and BF Torino versions are more money. As yet I haven't seen any in the flesh - has anyone been shopping for seats recently and has views on these or other supplier's seats? Is the increased cash worth it for the more expensive seats? Cheers.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Seats

Post by Timo »

Just depends what sort of thing you're looking for? I have had cobra RS buckets in my car for several years and find them fine, they are very light when compared with Porsche factory seats but are a fixed bucket so no option for getting small people in the back (unless they climb through the gap in the middle!) and are quite a basic design when compared with recaro reps for instance, however despite this they are still nice and comfy on a long journey (I've been to Lemans twice in mine with no complaints) and give a nice period look for sensible money.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Thanks Timo. Did you get fixing kits from Cobra as well? Did they have the option for a tilting kit so small people could get in the back? Whilst I like the look of the Recaro sports seats I think they look somehow a bit much in an early 912.
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

I used these forget what they where.. GT classic or some thing... I got them via Chris Turner.. :( bless him.

And they are so comfortable and they lift up.. I think I paid £300 for the pair.. I know they where a steal and I think your looking at £1500-£2000 now for a pair and runners. I could be wrong but I remember they where not cheap!! Hi Tim..
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

http://www.classiccarseats.com/monte-ca ... s-5603.php

yep... :shock: :? $1350 EACH!!! plus runners and plus head rests!!
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Thanks 912UK, those look great but at somewhere over $3,000 for a pair I think they might be a bit pricey for me. I think the Rennsport Classics I like work out at £1600 a pair all in, with Cobras probably half that. I was keen to understand the difference in quality of seats on the market, for that money I have to assume the GT classics are a quality item!
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

There was no option for a tilt kit when I bought mine (not sure if they might do one now maybe?) so no mine came with just a basic fixing kit which consisted of 2 x cross bars for the base of each seat so you can screw into your existing runners. As I’m fairly tall (6’ 2”) the seats sat a touch high so I ended up having to source some joggled brackets to drop the seats down a touch but now they sit perfectly (for me anyway :) )

Hi Mark, hope you are well.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Thanks Timo, that's useful - I'm 6'3" and spoke with the chap at Rennsport Classics today who did mention head-height as a possible issue (my original seats are very much in need of work, so no doubt the bases have collapsed somewhat). I suppose with a fixed back angle on a bucket you can't just recline them a little in order to drop the head-height! I wonder whether buckets might be a problem for that reason. Might be worth me looking at a couple of cars before I decide - Stamford Hall might be just such an opportunity.