1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Post by sladey »

THanks Jon - much appreciated
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sladey

1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Post by sladey »

OK to round up this part, I had some more starter motor woes which were finally sorted by fitting it away from the ring gear (it had slotted holes so you could install it in a few different positions)

Details are here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61300

So now I finally got to drive it. First impressions are that the lightweight clutch holder makes a BIG difference. The revs shoot up and down in the blink of an eye. It feels faster as a result. Cold starting isn’t easy and the ECU probably needs recalibration game to take into account the lack of inertia - it won’t idle when cold. Once warmed up it idles fine though. I think it could probably do with a remap to make the most of it so I might book a session before the end of the year.

One shocking thing that I replaced was the corroded main wire to the starter motor. We think an impact may have caused a small hole which allowed corrosion to set in

So it looked like this

Which when you cut it apart looked like this

And then this

I think that gradual deterioration won’t have helped my starting over the years and will have lead to previous issues I’ve had. I’m hoping it will help other electrical issues as well (can’t be good to be forcing current through those crappy wires) but we’ll see

Looking forward to driving it to work tomorrow
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Did you find you new oil leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

sladey

Post by sladey »

No - I'm going to check it over the week-end now I'm driving it. Think it's oil cooler but worried might be the main seal as well - will see at the week-end
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Chin up Mark, always impressed with your work on the "daily" !

Love the colour of that copper corrosion! Might have to use that on a presentation board :wink:
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
sladey

Post by sladey »

Yes it’s quite an impressive colour isn’t it. Well I’ve had a couple of days driving it to work now and there are a variety of things to report on.

Firstly the alarm system now seems to work. For the last year it’s tended to trigger frequently - getting better in wet weather but not consistently. I’ve always blamed the dodgy door switches but couldn’t get consistent results. I think the alarm system took some of it’s power from the engine end of the loom - and after replacing that wire that end is getting significantly more voltage.

A couple of months ago I had to leave my cars remote control with the parking attendant as the alarm kept tripping. When I picked the car up it had gone off 12 times during the day. So it’s great to have (hopefully) solved that problem. Thinking it through in the wet weather water would have got into the turquoise hole and improved the connectivity. As it slowly dried out it would have worsened.

The other bit of good news is that the car feels noticeably faster. I know the overall bhp won’t have changed but the mid-range punch is fantastic.

Now for the not-so-good news. It won’t idle - or rather it tries to idle at 400-500 revs - and to get it to do that you have to manually lower the revs slowly - if you let it drop then it just cuts out. When starting up it won’t catch properly without a boot of throttle. So bearing in mind it stalled 5 times on the journey home last night, this follows a pattern of:-
- I pull up at the lights silently
- I start the engine - sounds like a dragster warming the engine - can’t get it to go to idle so I’m trying to tame it with my right foot but the effect is WAAAP. WAAAP. WAAAP WAAAP. Then I pull off like shite off a shovel.

I carefully adopt an expression on my face which tries to convey the information that “I’m not doing this on pupose” and “I’m manfully trying to cope under difficult circumstances”.

All around me people are adopting an expression on their faces which say “there’s another c*** in a Porsche”

On top of this, when the throttle is barely open at between 2K and 3K revs we quickly slip into Kangeroo juice mode until I push the throttle further in.

I’m not sure how much of this is the new lightweight clutch arrangement and how much is the increased voltage to the engine management systems, or a combination of the two factors.

Happily I’m booked into Wayne Schofield for a week on Monday - I’ll probably drive my daughters car until then. In spite of the above problems I can’t wait to properly drive it when it’s sorted
targa boy
DDK Fanatic

Post by targa boy »

I haven`t checked to see if your Canems system uses the standard IAC valve( and its` operating system)but if it does have you checked that the throttle linkage has enough free play to close the idle switch as if it doesn`t then will it actually operate the duty cycle control of the IAC valve, a very common problem with the standard Bosch ECU, especially when the throttle pivot on the gearbox seizes.
I hope this helps.
1972 2.4t(mfi and very orange) 911 targa,1973 bmw 3.0csl,1983 mk1 vw golf gti.
sladey

Post by sladey »

It uses it’s own throttle switch IIRC - but it’s worth checking all the plugs are plugged in properly - may do that tomorrow
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

sladey wrote:Nah they’re just wearing in nicely!

While you’re here Jon, I’ve been researching hi torque starter motors online and it looks like a bit of a minefield.

When I got mine I was told it would fit up to 87, and mine did and worked fine for a long time.

Now when I’m looking, design 911 say it’s 10 teeth for the G50, and 9 teeth for the 915 (I need G50)
Looking at the Edge Motorsport site they do one for the 915 box (which looks identical to the one I had) which is described as OK for 915 up to 1987 approx, and a G50 on which they say is 1990 - 2012

On top of that Tuthills sell yet another one and say phone for application.

Confusingly the stock ‘recon’ one I took out (which failed after 3 years) has 9 teeth.

I’ll be taking the hi torque one out on Tuesday to check it’s number of teeth

Any ideas what I should go for?
Well everyday's a school day.

I went looking this evening for a G50 starter amongst my pile of used starters, counted teeth to find the one I needed but they all had 9 teeth. A little confused as I was sure I had at least two used starters from G50 cars I looked at PET. Turns out that Porsche used the same starter from '72-'89 all with nine teeth! So why do the aftermarket starters need 10 teeth on the G50 cars?

Confused!
sladey

Post by sladey »

Well aside from the issue of the slotted holes, the cog on the 10 tooth was deeper and more substantial and the gaps between the teeth of the cog were the same as on the 9 tooth -but other than that I think either would have fitted
Nige

Post by Nige »

9 teeth counted for the standard one on my shelf.
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

I wonder if the high torque BS is just that thy are lower geared!
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Did Wayne Schofield sort the idle issue?
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
sladey

Post by sladey »

Yep - running really really well now - lots more mid-range grunt.

Was an issue with smells but I think it’s down to me disturbing the airways when I cleaned it out but not fully cleaning everything up. If that makes sense. Currently miffed.
sladey

Post by sladey »

I definitely typed p1ssed last night, not miffed. Very very happy with how it’s performing.

And sorry still not answered your question - yes it idles fine now and starts from cold easily as well - no need for formula 1 antics each morning