Re: wheels adapters

Post by oliver365 »

:wink: :thumbup:
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

Hello All

This is my first post on this forum. I am VERY slowly tackling a part-finished 356 coupe build and I have exactly the same problem Olly had.

Rich, your reply to him was "Hi Olly think these are what you need" and you then posted some photos. Unfortunately because Photobucket is no longer anyone's friend I can't see what your solution was!

Any chance you could somehow re-post those photos or describe how you overcame the caliper clearance problem?

the back story is the Previous Owner fitted 17" Fuchs copies to dropped spindles on a 2" narrowed adjustable beam. I need to raise the car to IVA acceptable levels and I also really want to get the car looking a little more stock, so I want to fit wide 5 wheels. I need to keep the 5x130 disc rotors and I've found somewhere selling 5x130 to 5 x 205 adapters. Aside from increasing the track, I'm not sure how safe adapters plus spacers would be, so really curious if there's a better solution.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate the advice.
Ian
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Welcome aboard Ian,

The picture was of a wheel adapter from 4 stud the wide 5 that allowed the fitment of Drumskins to hide the adapter. Making it look more authentic. No good in your case if you running 5x130's.

All l can say is choose carefully which wheel adapters you go with. Most will not allow a Drumskin to fit over them leaving you with a number of wheel bolts showing etc. Not a good look if you want the 205 look.

Got any pics of you project. Coupes seem to be popular at present...
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I thought I might overcome the drum skins issue by sandwiching a circular baking/pizza tray, drilled to allow the wheel bolts and hub to pass through, between the back of the wheel and the adapters. Sounds a bit Heath Robinson I know but I think it could work!!

I'm still not convinced how robust bolting wheels to adapters which are in turn bolted to rotors, would be. Bolts would be pretty long too.

The alternative is to source some 356c/early 911 steel wheels or switch to 4 lug rotors and fit a set of JustKampers Beetle smoothies for a really early look. Both styles would bolt straight on. With hubcaps fitted the difference is minimal but I'd hoped to run without.

Here's a picture of my car. Some way off being ready for the road but the engine is built ready to fit, suspension, steering, gearbox and brakes are fitted, so it rolls and I have 95% of everything I need to finish it. What I seriously lack is time!
IMG_2564.JPG
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Seems coupe are proving popular at the moments. Is it one of Gary's Creations??.

Which ever route you choose, keep us posted.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)