Tie rods grrrr

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Tie rods grrrr

Post by Robster »

To cut a long (boring) story short, my car always has had a bit of a wheel shimmy despite new tyres, multiple balancing and new front bearings. What I spotted was one of the front hubs (to which the brake disc bolts) seemed to be slightly distorted. No idea how, but have replaced and looks like it has done the trick.

Seemed a good time to get the alignment done, but when I took it to be sorted, the old tie rods were so rusted up, couldn't make any adjustment.

Perfect excuse for to give the old thing some 'love' and fit some turbo tie rods. Got the old one off the drivers side no prob, as there was enough room to get leverage to undo from the rack end. I now have a splendid turbo tie rod on the left hand side.

Problem is on the offside, the way you need to spin off the tie rod (using it as a lever) anti clockwise instantly hits the 'A arm' this is compounded by the fact I cannot loosen the combined lock nut/bellow locating ring where it is tightend to the steering rack. I have tried hammer and chisel, including heating it up....I am stumped. The only way I can see of getting the whole thing moving is....

1. Cutting through the locknut,bellows locator to release the 'grip'
2. Cutting the bolt off that locates through the rubber bush at the rack end tie rod forked joint (not enough room to pull the bolt all the way out).
3. Getting the rubber bush out that the forked end of tie rod acts on.
4. Getting a jemmy in once the bush is removed and give it some welly...

If anyone has any other ideas, all gratefully received!

Kind regards
Rob
Porsche 914-6 (2.4E on Webers)
Splitty64
DDK above all

Re: Tie rods grrrr

Post by Splitty64 »

I made a tool for this, drop the tie rod off via its bolt, and bolt on the tool using the bolt- opposite end is a 3/4 drive so you can extend it back from the car and use a big bar to crack the end bit off. PM me you details, I can mail a picture off my phone
73 914 (with the YellowOne)
67 E-Type Coupe