Regulator woes (I think)

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Regulator woes (I think)

Post by Robster »

Hi all, took the car out for a spin and noticed that the Volts were not sitting constant but went up with revs, saw 16v at one point so cut drive short.

Ordered a new regulator from design 911, said compatible with a 914, but when it arrived was the wrong shape. It plugged in with relay cover off and this only gave 13.5v across Rev range.

Plugged old regulator back in and volts still went up but stopped at 15v regardless of revs...

Mmm. Does anyone have a good used 914 regulator I could borrow so I can sense check it is actually the regulator. Happy to cover postage. The only 914 new ones I have found are approx £200 so want to make sure this is definitely the problem unless anyone knows of a source selling at a more sensible price?

Many thanks, Rob
Porsche 914-6 (2.4E on Webers)
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Regulator woes (I think)

Post by rhd racer »

Hi Rob

Long time no speak, hope all is well.

I can't recall if mine is a 914 one, or a 911 one matched to the engine. I do remember it has a connector block for the 3 terminals (I think some have 4) so it can only be connected one way. I made the loom myself so that doesn't help me identify which it is, and I have mounted it somewhere pretty challenging to read the part numbers.....

However, you are not a million miles away on your voltmeter are you? I thought 14-14.2 volts was about the charging range to try and achieve, so you are only slightly off that. Under-charging less of a problem for the battery than over, so you were right to shorten the first drive....

Depends how much it owes you. I think I have used a VW beetle one before with my type IV engine...

If you are stuck I can try and get to mine and read off the part number, just let me know

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Just thought about this another way Rob. Looked at my neatly archived receipts; Roger Bray part number 0.190.600.016 from 2004 is what I am using. It cost £51 at the time.

I have used this on 4 and 6 cylinder variants, as with both I have used an early 911 van with brushes and no regulator (I suspect the same as yours). If this is what you want to try I can post Friday am at a push, as long as I gave back in a week, as believe it or not I am using the car but it will be buried behind the Boxster and trailer for a week due to back to back events.

Another thought. If your alternator is old and wonky, you can upgrade to a later 911 one with the built in regulator and higher ampage for probably about the same money. Just a thought...

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

I'm not using mine at the moment Rob, you're welcome to try it. Drop me a PM. I can only get to the Post Office today or Monday as I'm off to Silverstone this weekend. If you're going too, I'll bring it with me.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

Hi Rob. I'm running with a solid state reg on my car with no problems, fits straight in with cover in place!
It's a CARGO 130675 14v, about £15 inc post on ebay (jcrsupplies) or any good auto electrical supplier.
If it's the alternator and you go for built in reg you may have to modify the wiring loom to suit.
BTW. the alternator is a real bitch of a job to remove with the engine in the car!! but doable (just),
Maurice
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Wayne/Stephen, many thanks for the very kind offer to lend your regulator, very much appreciated. I hadn't bargained on Maurice's ingenuity 8)

At £15 has to be worth a punt. I don't think it can be the alternator as it is certainly outputting some amps.

I will let you know how I get on. Then I will turn to solving the mega annoying wheel vibration issue that plagued me on the 914 International..

Old cars, Gotta love 'em. LOL
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

Hi Rob, I have a brand new still in the box spare one if you want it ?? Just cover the postage from Deutschland and it's yours! Don't need it now as I went for a new alternator with built in regulator.
Regards Mark.
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Hi Mark, many thanks for the very generous offer- yes please! Please Pm me with what you want to cover postage. Very much appreciated.
Kind regards, Rob
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

Robster wrote:Hi Mark, many thanks for the very generous offer- yes please! Please Pm me with what you want to cover postage. Very much appreciated.
Kind regards, Rob
Rob, pm sent.

Regards Mark.
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Sorry for the tardy response, but for info, followed Maurice's tip and bought the cargo regulator. Just the job, and works like a dream- bargain! Cheers Maurice!
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

Hi Rob
Glad to hear it was just the reg. and not the alt. (nice when it's an easy inexpensive fix)!!
Cheers M
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Thanks Maurice, all back ship shape in the engine room.. Front suspension is proving a bit more problematic though...