E Type 888330

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: E Type 888330

Post by Tp81 »

:lol: brilliant! Thought you might like it. 8)
DDK#694
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

KS wrote:Image

Bodywork and headers sorted, then...
Back in the days when teenage had a hyphen....
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
KS

Post by KS »

sladey wrote: Back in the days when teenage had a hyphen....
And when silicone was used for sealing baths and windows...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neill
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by neill »

Any updates on the e type?

I check ddk daily and always hope for an update in this thread.
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Hello Neil

The engine is at the machine shop, but I don't expect the return of parts for a few weeks more...same with the differential..so no real progress.......maybe something late June I hope...;)
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
neill
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by neill »

I look forward to it!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I see Barry is away with another 911 she'll now, when is the E type due on the Master's table?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Hi
Barry has had the shell since Xmas to help me with space, so I could strip the engine and rear suspension
We've talked about completing the shell by Xmas this year...so hopefully he will start in a month or so...depends on progress with this current shell....
Rear diff is now ready for collection, so I will probably put up the next update once that goes back together....

Sorry about the drop in progress....too many other things to do in the garden now it's light and summer....
Jp
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It will be worth the wait.
I went for a Club tour of CMC in the last winter, quite impressive.
Keen to see progress!
(Like we all are) :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

afternoon all

its been a while but there is now some progress....

I picked up my refurbished differential 2 weeks ago

needed 2 new clutch plates as one was badly scored, whilst the other was split..!...it now has new oil seals, and is fully serviced and reconditioned...I had gone to the trouble of stripping and painting with the correct red lead primer colour just as they came out of the factory....

good news was everything else was in good condition, and was in the opinion of the restorer (Alan Slawson of AJS Engineering in Essex) from a car that had seen little use and then stood for many years....all of which is good as it substantiates the mileage and provenance of the car which has 32,000 miles on the tacho....

second thing is a recent ebay purchase...

my car came to me with an incorrect model of distributer...and also a wrong year...1972...so that simply will not do for an authentic restoration

the early distributers, model DMBZ6A 40640D ran from launch in April 1961 to early mid 1963, so that was what I had to have.....this was a great find though as its date stamped 1/63, which makes it perfect for a car built 3/63....result....very happy with that...and the further bonus that it is from a car that did 40,000 miles...almost perfectly matched...!

I pick up my engine in 2 weeks from the machine shop....last items are being balanced next week....so more will come soon....

Jp
Last edited by jtparr on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

Just caught up with this thread. What a lovely car its going to be, just the right balance of refurbishment and replacement. Great stuff.

Andy.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Finally some tangible progress…..

The engine has now been returned, partially assembled and to be completed by me

Block was chemically cleaned prior to a rebore of +20 thou

Head was cleaned and had some aluminium welding to reinstate the apertures for the water passages, then bead blasted and ultimately skimmed by 6 thou

Imagev

sump was vapour blasted so i just added new studs to accept the inner tray and filter

Valve guides lined with K Line inserts, new valves throughout plus new springs, followers and re-built for me with the correct 4 and 6 thou clearances.

Whilst I had initially thought of re-building the head the shimming process is not straight forward and I thought was best left to Mike at SRS in Sutton to complete

Camshafts needed only a light polish so standard spec new bearings were able to be used

Crankshaft needed all 6 core plugs to be drilled out prior to chemical and blasting to clean out the old oilways, again just a light polish to the bearing surfaces which has kept it within original spec dimensions for new standard size bearings to be used

Clutch has been uprated to the later 4.2 litre type so the flywheel was both skimmed to clean it up and drilled to accept the new pins and bolts which are spaced differently

The crankshaft, crankshaft damper, clutch and flywheel were all balanced as an assembly and the new Mahle pistons and original con rods checked and machined to ensure no more than a 0.1mm gram difference between components

Piston skirt clearance was to modern Mahle tolerances, of 0.1mm and the piston ring clearance checked and machined to within the original workshop manual 0.38-0.51mm tolerance range

So….somewhat better overall than original spec it has to be said……

Jaguar painted the valley sections of their twin cam heads different colours over the years, with the early E Types being a pumpkin shade of orange, but the later 3.8 were painted gold. The painting of the head was stopped during the lifetime of the series 1 4.2 cars in around 1966

Delivered to me in natural aluminium......and then spray painted....

Lovely isn’t it…..with odd details revealed once cleaned...like the JAG foundry
stamping

The contrast between polished, milled and blasted finish with original bolts and copper washers all cleaned and polished....and temporary use of the old chrome dome nuts to locate the cam covers...to keep the internals protected

Now assembled and protected …..note the oil filler cap not aligned…fibre washers need a final adjustment in thickness to resolve that

Similar cost saving measures were adopted for the blocks and in truth my car should have a red lead primer colour for the block as the top coat of black was omitted from late 1962, but black is what it should have had if it were not for the pursuit of “building to a price”...and their head of estimating Arthur Whitaker

This is it as it should have been and will now remain.... after the first coat of black enamel paint

I had also completed the re-assembly of the Moss gearbox

Internals were inspected for wear, which apart from minor marks on the (non-synchro) first gear teeth all looked good, so with new gaskets and a thorough clean and a fresh coat of primer and black paint assembly was straight forward

The gear knob was missing from my car but I managed to source a couple of originals to choose from, this has a small amount of patina and looks the part….certainly superior to the reproduction items which are simply incorrect….

The original bell housing had been repaired by welding in new metal and after I spent quite a few hours grinding/filing and wet + dry finishing the case any evidence of earlier damage is minimal

and completing the restoration of various brackets....with correctly aligned fixings...

So, bringing this up to real time again, this week has seen me installing the crankshaft oil seal (rope), which after an initial failed attempt, a second and better rope seal was sourced and we have success….whether it will eventually leak is another matter…..

This weekend I installed the crankshaft ....with plenty of Graphogen ...having checked the clearances with the plastigauge kit.....

and started to assemble the pistons….happy with progress so far....am working through this assembly very slowly as its all completely new to me

....more next week….

regards
Jonathan
Last edited by jtparr on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Looks great, heavy looking engine too!
How is the body side of things?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Should be going under the knife and torch starting next month....!.....fingers crossed....
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Great stuff Jonathan, keep it up.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims