Door latch rebuild?

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Door latch rebuild?

Post by neilbardsley »

The left side door on my 912 decided not to close properly and open when going around corners! Mick Temple advised me to get a new door strike. Well he suggested a rebuild kit and I see why now! New door strike from Porsche £130. Rebuild kit from Stoddard $30. The latch mechanism which strikes the door strike has quite a bit of play in it so I thought that maybe while I had the door card off I would try to have a look at that. I've looked on line and they aren't cheap! £800 plus! I was wonder if anybody had had one rebuild/restore and could recommend somebody?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
newto912
DDK addict

Re: Door latch rebuild?

Post by newto912 »

1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
1969 912 RHD in process of restoration
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

It's the part that fastens to the B post that I suggested Neil checks out as often the plastic inserts disintegrate over time.
Apparently there is also some play in the latch mechanism inside the door, hence Neil's second question.

Just to be clear ......:)
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. The door striker arrived and didn't sort the problem but I've bought that 60 part and will try to clean/use

Sent from my X5pro using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ive just repositioned the striker and got the door to close properly but you can still pull it open!

DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

There is a section in the Workshop Manual that mentions the early type door catch mechanism. The early latches were subject to flying open on rough roads (or crash) and a later type was a recommended change. The main difference, as far as I can see is the latch pin is much shorter and less secure as it is only anchored on one side. I will copy the page and send it to you if you like. Send me your e-mail address.

Ian
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you Ian. I've got the pages.

Should I put this in the dishwasher to clean?

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I had an hour spare so I got the old latch out. What a pain. The rods connect in a slightly different way!Image