DVLA nonsense

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: DVLA nonsense

Post by 911hillclimber »

That is what I was repeatedly told over the years on mine, the registration mark is the one given the car when first registered in the UK when Imported, hence my 'Y' registration.
I'm stuck with it unless I buy a registration from them or a private supplier.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

911hillclimber wrote:That is what I was repeatedly told over the years on mine, the registration mark is the one given the car when first registered in the UK when Imported, hence my 'Y' registration.
I'm stuck with it unless I buy a registration from them or a private supplier.
My car was an 'X' registration when imported but on the V5 it stated 'Declared manufactured in 1970'. I just wrote to DVLA and asked for an age related plate with no documentation and was granted one. Once I had the car MOT'd I wrote to DVLA again and changed the car to tax free status - again with no supporting paperwork.I have subsequently changed the registration to a shorter age related plate which I purchased but obviously couldn't do that until the car was taxed (free).

Best of luck.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

stretch wrote:It's last tax disc is dated 1981 Nick. I assume i can only apply for historic status/ free tax if i have a current MOT.
Maybe that would makes a difference.?
The different tack may do the trick. Use the documentation to get Historic status, then go for the age-related plate.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Ralph,

there is no mention anywhere on the current V5C i have of the date of manufacturer. Maybe yours was mentioned in section 3, special notes on the first page.? I wonder if i will have a battle getting historical status as there is no mention of age on the V5C. I suppose the COA is evidence.?

911Hillclimber.... are you getting free tax via historical status.?
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Yes Dave, it was in Special notes 3. I have just checked and it actually said 'Was registered overseas. Declared manufactured 1970'.
Sam

Post by Sam »

This is really suprising. I've done similar loads of times and had no issues.

As mentioned I'd suggest getting an MoT as this will provide extra evidence of the proper identity, taking pics of the VINs and sending in everything together with a letter explaining you'd like historic status.

They can't deny you that and I'd have thought an age related plate will be an easy second move.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Sam, i was flabbergasted. Ralph, i will message you this evening if you don't mind. I will then try to get some age evidence on my V5 in the special notes section. Don't want a historic status battle too...!

Anyone else with hard evidence. please stand up now. :)
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Might be related to the issue mentioned in the link below?

Seems a recent change or clarification of the "rules"?

https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/2017/06 ... Smartfocus
stretch

Post by stretch »

Surely they can't deny me tax exemption because my car was registered in the UK in 81.

Now that would really p155 me off. :evil:
1998 C2 996 Kettle
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Dave, my car was UK registered in 1980. Build date was 1974,and have no problem with tax exemption.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
stretch

Post by stretch »

Ok, just had a read up on the Government site. At least tax exemptions a formality with the COA.

Thanks All.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

on one of my cars, when i bought it, some of the details such as construction date were incorrect on the V5. I called DVLA and they said if i sent a letter in with the V5 identifying the wrong data plus proof that it was wrong and what the correct data should be, they would correct it which they subsequently did. I think this was for my Sunbeam Tiger which was Y reg (re-imported into UK in 1979 as LHD) and now has the correct D suffix reg for a 65 car.

I suspect that the problem is that it depends who you get on the other end of the phone when you call DVLA .....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Sam

Post by Sam »

To get my 914 switched to historic last year I just took the V5C to my local post office and they clicked a button.

It was down as 'Imported 1991 declared manufactured 1974'.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Doug, i think you have hit the nail on the head, they make it up as they go along. They tell you on the phone it's a formality, then they turn down your request. Nowhere on my V5C does it mention the year of manufacturer. Rant over.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
stuby

Post by stuby »

sladey wrote:Isn't the issue that they are hanging this on the fact that it was first registered in the UK in 81? The other ones above appear to have been registered in the UK from new.

Mine wasn't , it was registered 79

Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!