Standard length of the carburettor drop link

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

POR68
DDK above all

Standard length of the carburettor drop link

Post by POR68 »

I have been doing my throttle linkage in the manner recommended in the Manual. Started at the bell crank behind the shroud and got the 50mm distance suggested, then the bell crank on the transmission and got the 15-20mm suggested. However, I now seem to have drop links to the carbs that are too short (15 cm)!

I suspect that these are not originals and was wondering what the original, stock unadjusted length for these was for the BT6?

Anyone got one they could measure?
Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Standard length of the carburettor drop link

Post by Kneeslider »

What about the length of the vertical rod behind the fan shroud? If the drop links to the carbs seem too short, then you will need to lengthen the vertical rod.

Set the 50mm distance between the link and the fan shroud by changing the length of the diagonal rod that goes down to the gearbox, then adjust the vertical link behind the fan shroud.

See how you go after that.

I did the same thing before I knew what lurked behind the fan housing, and tried to adjust the carbs by just messing with the drop links, and ran out of adjustment.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Merv
DDK Fanatic

Post by Merv »

Good point but would that not also alter the angle of the 'vertical' link?

Still keen to get the standard carb drop link measurement, just to set that one aside.
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

When I switched from zenith to super 90 solex I encountered the same problem!
I just put it down to the differences between manufacturers.
My solution was to make some more drop-links, with the appropriate left and right hand threads. I wasn't exactly short with the originals but was only "in" by a couple of threads.
I think over the years that things can get altered. I even had to make a new piece that runs from the bell crank on the gearbox to the back of the fan shroud. I am amazed at how much space (!) there is in a 356 engine bay compared to the VWs I cut my teeth on.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

Thanks Simon. It is hard too get actual measurements of stock parts unless you already have them and are sure they are original and not from non-356 stock. The critical angles and distances at both bell cranks are there in the Workshop manual but little further information on other settings and component lengths. I had set the long rod from the transmission bell crank so its ball/cup is correctly 50mm from the back of the fan shroud, but there was no guidance on the length of the vertical rod from that bell crank to the crossbar. However, a long serving member here in Australia has clarified that the carby drop links should measure around 170mm ball to ball, give or take 5mm. Further, that the (near) vertical rod behind the fan shroud from that bell crank to the cross bar should measure about 190mm ball to ball. Otherwise the cross shaft cranks will be the wrong angle and make the length of the drop links appear insufficient.

This added to what Kneeslider suggested above, with some measurement detail.

Many thanks, Merv
Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)