Do you find this scary?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Do you find this scary?

Post by Burma-Shave »

We had a Vulva xc90 as a courtesy car with all that adaptive and spooky lane following self steering malarky, and I agree it would make a daily mundane schlep a fair bit easier, if that was what I did, which I dont.

It also had a panic system where it would beep and flash red lights up on the heads up display if it thought you were too close to the car in front. Or if you passed a parked car. Or if you passed a car about to join the road from a junction. That was terrible.

The new posh motors are all using real time GPS to predictively change suspension and gear settings for every corner and hill aren't they?, new Panamera and 5'er etc., which is pretty amazeballs. Added to drift mode, autoblipping and fake news, sorry -I mean fake noise - and you realise driving proper cars properly is becoming a queer old fashioned pastime, its happening right now.
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

:shock: Hi

If these cars use GPS what happens when the GPS signal is lost. On several occasions while driving with my GPS I get a verbal message GPS signal lost. Does the car panic, does it say over to you ready or not or does it just stop. Scary :shock:

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Dyno Soar wrote:I think its inevitable that automation will soon mean our transport is fully automated. Trains, Buses, haulage, and cars too.

I reminds me of a couple of scenes from I am robot with Will Smith; when in his car, he switches to manual and the computer asks him if he is sure? He responds something like he likes to drive. Also the scene where he breaks out an MV Augusta F4 and his passenger exclaims 'does this thing have a combustion engine?!!!!'

The future is automation.

I doubt they'll be able to automate motorcycles. So I'll keep riding.

Honda rider assist is freaky, self balancing and low speed walkies. No production bike with it, just Honda employees in white jump suits.
Scene tax
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

sisu wrote:
Dyno Soar wrote:I think its inevitable that automation will soon mean our transport is fully automated. Trains, Buses, haulage, and cars too.

I reminds me of a couple of scenes from I am robot with Will Smith; when in his car, he switches to manual and the computer asks him if he is sure? He responds something like he likes to drive. Also the scene where he breaks out an MV Augusta F4 and his passenger exclaims 'does this thing have a combustion engine?!!!!'

The future is automation.

I doubt they'll be able to automate motorcycles. So I'll keep riding.

Honda rider assist is freaky, self balancing and low speed walkies. No production bike with it, just Honda employees in white jump suits.
Lol...

Burn Honda at the STAKE!!!!

Even though it can be done, doesn't mean motorcyclists will adopt it. I can see any bikers going for it. What's the point when personal freedom is lost? One of the joys of motorcycles is that it requires skill and input (unless riding a Harley ;) )

I doubt that thing will allow that 2nd gear wheelie over a rise? Anyway... can't see it. People will just buy a autonomous car instead, if they just want to get A to B..
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

It can balance because it knows everything that is on it. Put a human on there and it's much harder to balance because you don't know what they are going to do. They are capable for doing enough to topple it over
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Sam

Post by Sam »

Burma-Shave wrote:It also had a panic system where it would beep and flash red lights up on the heads up display if it thought you were too close to the car in front. Or if you passed a parked car. Or if you passed a car about to join the road from a junction. That was terrible.
Yeah.

The Teegwan sometimes mistakes cyclists in cycle lanes for cars in the road and thinks you're closing too fast so shouts at you. It even prodded the brakes once. Maybe it's encouraging drivers to give the proper 1.5m overtaking distance like wot Chris Boardman says.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

sladey wrote:It can balance because it knows everything that is on it. Put a human on there and it's much harder to balance because you don't know what they are going to do. They are capable for doing enough to topple it over
Like an early James Bond movie, more men in white overalls...
Scene tax
sladey

Post by sladey »

It is amazing and it is very very impressive. However Humans do stupid things - like 'I wonder if it will cope with this' (leans over the wrong way) - I can see an intelligent system counter-balancing wrong movement but there will come a point when it is impossible. The point is the point of no return.

You can argue that statistically it is far safer for machines to do this. However the deeper point is that we can accept our own stupidity, but aren't so forgiving of a machine. So for example we'd probably accept we will get things wrong in some cases, but if a machine gets things wrong once then I don't think we would trust it.

Dunno - I do know that just because something can happen doesn't mean it's going to
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Not sure what the point of balancing that bike within boundries is?

Technically great, maybe a giant gyroscope in there too..

Back to the car side of this thread, the transition from 'today' to totally 'tomorrow' will be the craziest aspect in terms of safety and liability.
There are endless combinations of chances of all things happening.
Imagine all this taking place in an Indian or Chinese city?

The best computer ever is in your head, some are just programmed better than others; I think this will be the case for these modes of transport too.

Will a BMW Pod be as well featured/programmed as a Kia Pod?
Or will the control systems come from the governments around the world?? :shock:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Dad had his licence revoked due to tunnel vision and was mortified. Years of fun cars and fun driving, into his late seventies, has been really hard for him to lose. The electric pavement bike just doesn't cut it, even with the natty TT style rims. Autonomous motoring would keep him behind the wheel and enjoying the thrills. What's stopping the blind from 'driving' in the near future?
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Well done, a + side to all this!
Blind, disabled, injured etc all this would keep those in such difficulties out and about.
Never really thought of that aspect.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9