Fuel gauge not working.

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

911st
DDK Fanatic

Fuel gauge not working.

Post by 911st »

Hello.
For some reason my 356A was wired up as a positive earth. I have since sorted this so it is now a negative earth.
Unfortunately neither my fuel gauge or oil temp gauges work. (They did not actually work before either).
Does anyone know if the fuel /oil gauge modules are available?
I realise that the fuel gauge level sensor works on resistance and I will need to check this when I am next with the car.
I'm not sure how the oil temp works but guessing it's going to e similar.
The car is still running 6volts.
Any advice on what else to check wold be much appreciated..
Or even how to fix / rewire the coils.
Many thanks.
John.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Re: Fuel gauge not working.

Post by Mike Smith »

Fuel Gauge Modules are availabl, from stock, at PRS
Senders are more of a problem but can be repaired

WWW.prs356.com
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

911st wrote:Hello.
For some reason my 356A was wired up as a positive earth. I have since sorted this so it is now a negative earth.
Unfortunately neither my fuel gauge or oil temp gauges work. (They did not actually work before either).
Does anyone know if the fuel /oil gauge modules are available?
I realise that the fuel gauge level sensor works on resistance and I will need to check this when I am next with the car.
The car is still running 6volts.
Any advice on what else to check wold be much appreciated..
Or even how to fix / rewire the coils.
Many thanks.
John.

I think I'm correct in saying that the fuel gauge sensor is a float with a rope! I would try earthing it to see if you needle goes to one extreme.

To do a dummy test of your oil temp gauge take the connector to sensor off (in the engine bay) and the gauge should move all the way to right. That should let you know if the senor or gauge is at fault.

I'm pretty convinced my temp gauge is off (Paul from PRS supplied me with a replacement sensor from) using Mike's trick of measuring boiling water it under read. I will correct it at sometime but I've stopped worrying about it being exact now :)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911st
DDK Fanatic

Post by 911st »

Hello.
Thanks for the advice.
I'll check it first, then if it's at fault I'll order one Mike.
Cheers.
John.