A bit of advice needed (SC content)

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

A bit of advice needed (SC content)

Post by Gunscrossed »

I've been away from the fold for a number of years, suffice to say, things (mainly prices) have moved on fairly quickly!

As such I'd basically forgotten about returning to air cooled 911 ownership and have been entertaining myself in the world of Lotus and Caterham.

I put my Exige up for sale a couple of days ago as I fancy a T2 VW Camper for the summer but out of the blue I've been offered a 1979 911 SC targa plus some cash from a guy.
My main reservation is the 911 is on the register as a cat C, other than that it looks fairly tidy, guards red, decent service history by the looks of it.

I'd be allowing @£20k for it in the deal, does that sound like madness? (sold my '72 911 Targa for £7500. about 15 years ago :blackeye: )

I know this is one of those, how long is a piece of string questions but any advice appreciated!
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: A bit of advice needed (SC content)

Post by Burma-Shave »

Is that the one that the bonnet flew open on causing the insurance claim? Allegedly. Was on ebay until recently?
Definitely could be either terrible or fine! Although decent SCs seem to be 35 -40 at the mo.
Seems silly that cat c makes such a difference, but.. it just does.
There, a clear answer for you.. :-)
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

Post by Gunscrossed »

I think the guy has had it a year or so, not sure what the damage was. I know, it could be fine or a money pit!

I did some detective work,
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

How much is the Exige if you're taking a £20k px?

They must have gone up too!

Got a link?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

Post by Gunscrossed »

Sam wrote:How much is the Exige if you're taking a £20k px?

They must have gone up too!

Got a link?
Yes Sam, like everything else, they've gone up! Bottomed out at about £16k a few years ago and been on the rise since, exchange rate/Brexit not helping UK buyers as Europeans got a big discount when things went wonky and a lot seem to be leaving the country (Never to return?) A genuinely nice car in the vein of the RS Porsche (or actually vice versa?)
Pistonheads ad, https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 05/7059937
Sam

Post by Sam »

That looks nice. Much too nice to swap for a written off SC Targa and £4K.

I'll give you my bus and £5k instead. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Srsly tho, that SC has all the warning signs of being iffy. Poor panel fit is the big one, but I always worry about cars that don't have the rubber covers for the switch in the a pillar. They're a few pence. It shows a lack of general care that is usually evident everywhere else.
Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

Post by Gunscrossed »

Sam wrote:That looks nice. Much too nice to swap for a written off SC Targa and £4K.

I'll give you my bus and £5k instead. :)
The Exige is costing me virtually nothing to run, Tax-insurance-V Power and an Oil service due in October. I can see the SC being a money pit. Guess I'm answering my own question really.
More details on the bus please 8)
acclassics
DDK Fanatic

Post by acclassics »

If you havent allready you can follow a bit more of the history of that car in the link below, then follow the username to read more about its forum history.

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/inde ... -sc-targa/

regardless of which 911 you look at get a leakdown test and check the head studs, even those that have had engine work, just to be sure, as there are plenty out there with snapped head studs, better to check at time of purchase, and expect with a CIS/Kjet (i.e SC) to be doing some injection work, i think that car above last i read needed some, might be sorted now.

P.S I reckon cat C, is 15-25%, and cat D 10-15% in terms of market price adjustment
Current : '71 911T | '68 912 | '76 911
Previous : '64 356SC | '78 911 SC | '79 911 SC | '73 911T | '66 912 | '72 911E | '83 911SC |
'84 911 3.2 | '77 911S | '76 911 C3
Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

Post by Gunscrossed »

acclassics wrote:If you havent allready you can follow a bit more of the history of that car in the link below, then follow the username to read more about its forum history.

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/inde ... -sc-targa/

regardless of which 911 you look at get a leakdown test and check the head studs, even those that have had engine work, just to be sure, as there are plenty out there with snapped head studs, better to check at time of purchase, and expect with a CIS/Kjet (i.e SC) to be doing some injection work, i think that car above last i read needed some, might be sorted now.

P.S I reckon cat C, is 15-25%, and cat D 10-15% in terms of market price adjustment
Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.
Sam

Re: A bit of advice needed (SC content

Post by Sam »

The bus is a 71 Westfalia. As anyone who knows stuff will tell you that's the best year because small lights and disc brakes. Earlier ones have drums, later have big lights which aren't as pretty. And it's a Westfalia with 4 berths, so a proper German built, factory approved VW camper rather than a third party conversion. For these reasons I think it's the best model of bay window to have.

It's RHD too. I imported it from South Africa in 2007, did the interior, rebuilt the brakes and fitted a new factory engine. Obvs also lowered it a bit and fitted replica gas burners because that's what you do if you were first into VWs in the 90s. The body hasn't been restored so is 'very patinated' but not rotten and not badly repaired. It's solid, cos it doesn't rain much in Pretoria. It's pastel white. Various versions therof. My plan is to get the body done this year and flog it because it's too small now we have 3 growing children.

You can buy it now if you like. You can even have the JK drive away awning. I'm not really expecting £19k. :) I don't really need another sports car, so would only want the Exige if the deal was stonking.
Gunscrossed
DDK Fanatic

Post by Gunscrossed »

Any pictures Sam?
Sam

Post by Sam »

PM me your email and I'll see what I can dig out, tho I'm not home until Thursday.
Nige

Post by Nige »

Can't do much camping in a Targa!

Buy a camper, when the time comes a good one will be much easier to sell than a cat C Targa.