What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

alanchester wrote:
Mr Pharmacist wrote:Sorry to have missed you Alan - i had a wander round too but didnt know which car you were with!

It was windy! and a little bit wet and slippy in the morning!
No worries mate, with 7 runs I was kept busy most of the day. Very efficiently run with quick turnarounds.
We were the red n black OMS with Tillicoutry Quarries livery. it was a perfect day for a shake down, rain in the morning made for extra caution and the track dried out nice in the afternoon with times coming down a treat. Finished with a 58.44 and now have a target of 55 for the season.
Glad you had a good day with no issues.
Turned out nice after lunch.
Ah I did see you out on the track. My best time was 76.31 so some way off your pace :D. My target is 75 but not sure I can go much faster with the car in its current form but I'll keep trying!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
alanchester
DDK above all

Post by alanchester »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:
alanchester wrote:
Mr Pharmacist wrote:Sorry to have missed you Alan - i had a wander round too but didnt know which car you were with!

It was windy! and a little bit wet and slippy in the morning!
No worries mate, with 7 runs I was kept busy most of the day. Very efficiently run with quick turnarounds.
We were the red n black OMS with Tillicoutry Quarries livery. it was a perfect day for a shake down, rain in the morning made for extra caution and the track dried out nice in the afternoon with times coming down a treat. Finished with a 58.44 and now have a target of 55 for the season.
Glad you had a good day with no issues.
Turned out nice after lunch.
Ah I did see you out on the track. My best time was 76.31 so some way off your pace :D. My target is 75 but not sure I can go much faster with the car in its current form but I'll keep trying!
Not me driving Stuart, I'm just a spanner monkey!

Just heard that 58:44 was the fastest time of the day overall, not a bad days testing.
Last edited by alanchester on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
81' 911 SC Guards Red
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Off on a trip round Malvern in the 356C as I'm short of bits to assemble my spare SC engine.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Collected these today from ECP.
I hope these are the only panels I need this Autumn.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mike

Post by Mike »

For some reason during the Riviera 993's restoration they seemed to miss the side/foglight units and re-used the old yellowing ones.
Now how hard can this be, so in the spirit of DDK do-it-yourself'ers I went for it, well after Ferry Man told me how to do it....

Eurocarparts were doing a deal, these turned up and seemed to be the real thing!

2 screws and it all falls out, ... righty-tighty, lefty-loosey....

15 mins later and all new bright shiny bits.

See, easy peasy this car restoration lark, eat your heart out Sladey!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
murph2309

Post by murph2309 »

:-)

Nice one Mike.
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
murph2309

Post by murph2309 »

Some TLC applied to the roof by Garry visualfx... how straight and perfectly fitted is that.

Should take the noise down a notch or two....
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

That looks really good
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Lovely job!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
sladey

Post by sladey »

Mike wrote: 15 mins later and all new bright shiny bits.

See, easy peasy this car restoration lark, eat your heart out Sladey!
Is that indicator lens on straight? :lol:
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Sam

Post by Sam »

murph2309 wrote: Some TLC applied to the roof by Garry visualfx... how straight and perfectly fitted is that.

Should take the noise down a notch or two....
That settles it. Getting mine done.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Went to drive the car to work Monday morning and whilst performing a (perfectly safe!) overtaking manoeuvre a machine gun appeared to go off in the engine. I've become something of an expert on engine machine gun noises over the year - this was more of a thomson light machine gun (exhaust) as opposed to a bren gun (rocker gear undone) or M16 (crank knacked).

I pulled in and listened from the outside (along with everyone else in a 5 mile radius) but couldn't see anything dropping off. It happened so suddenly I reasoned that something had dropped off the exhaust, so I limped home in rush hour traffic sounding like the opening scene from Private Ryan.

Last night I thought I'd jack it up and see what had dropped off. Looked all over the exhaust system and all looked well - I *thought* one stud was missing it's nut (but not easy to see) - but there was no blackening near it which I'd expect to see from a leak.

I popped open the engine compartment to see one plug lead lying loose along with the plug itself!

About 6 months to a year ago I had a bit of rough running which turned out to be that same plug lead having popped off. From memory, when I put it back on I didn't check the plug itself. I reckon it may have been on loose for a few years but slowly and slowly working it's way out. IN the meantime more and more gasses would have been escaping past the threads - probably leading to the lead popping off last time. This time it finally worked it's way out.

the plug itself was in good condition - not black or anything. I borrowed a plug socket off Ian and put it back in (which was a ridiculous fiddle! I remembered now why I gave up trying to check the plugs last time!) and torqued it up properly. I thought I'd check the others while I was there. I did one which was perfect and then gave up - had to feed the dogs and get the tea on before the missus gets home. I'll probably check the rest at the week-end.

Driving to work this morning the engine was noticeably smoother and more powerful. Thinking it through, that plug will have been sparking in a less than optimum place for quite a while now - gradually getting worse, and at the same time some of the combustion pressure will have been leaking out past the plug threads. It will have deteriorated so gradually that I got used to the gradual loss in power.

Happy days!
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
KS

Post by KS »

It is very unusual for a plug to unwind itself fully... Hate to say it, but I'd be suspicious of the threads.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by hot66 »

I once had a spark plug spat out from my Subaru motor ... made one hell of a noise ... I too was on a full on flat to the floor heading for the redline ..... was the result of a cross threaded plug and it spat out the thread at the same time

Was always a risk on Vw heads of damaging the Threads ... which is why I'm so cautious when doing plugs on the 911
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I too had a hot 370 bhp Impreza STi.
Changing all 4 plugs on an Impreza is shear murder compared to a 911, esp the one at the back, Near Side iirc....

I always lightly grease my plug threads every time they come out which is not often on the 3.2 engines and a light 'nip' on the tightening, never had a problem.

If your roaming plug was not tight to start with then I bet it would unscrew itself over time.
Less time with the dogs and get the wife to cook! :wink:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9