Who do you follow?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Who do you follow?

Post by Bootsy »

Darren65 wrote:
Some people keep posting photos of rivers.......can't get my head around that! :?
Sexual deviants those types
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

On Insta I recommend...

sablegrace_
ruby_franco_
missbullet
luckdevilpinups
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

On insta I'd recommend pillepalle, porscheregister and 911outlaw. Some fun things in your feed.

Chris_jury seems to have some lovely content too, whoever he is.
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

I followed these

Before the restraining order.........
@classiccarguru1
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

richkaz wrote:Mavericks don't follow - they lead.
Following is for religious folk, teenage girls and sheep.
:laughing6:
jeremyg wrote:
Thank you Rich for that contribution - it made me smile despite it being (knowingly I presume) patronising, sour and arrogant. I don't wish to overact if it is just a flippant remark, but I suspect it is rather more deep seated than that. You'll be aware of course of the hypocrisy of your position - you after all were just following a post on a social media site and responding to it.
:laughing6:
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Right.... given Jeremyg's prompt.... Now on insta
That will be another 2hrs a week lost :-)

Still never been on Facebook tho.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

That's great Bruce. I hope the experience goes well for you! See what you think in a couple of weeks time.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

jeremyg wrote:
Thank you Rich for that contribution - it made me smile despite it being (knowingly I presume) patronising, sour and arrogant. I don't wish to overact.....
Your wish didn't come true did it.... :lol: :lol:

There is so much now on facebook and instagram it all becomes a blur. I don't even see what most people I follow actually post as the media sites populate your feed now on what 'they' think you want to see.

Thank god I'm not on Twitter :P
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I don't subscribe to social media as such, but I do like to lurk around some of the photo hosting sites. Usually I start off looking at cars and end up looking at breasts - do others have this problem?
sladey

Post by sladey »

I'm a bit concerned that you seem to think that's a problem.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sladey

Post by sladey »

On the social media thing calm yo tiddies Jeremy - People be like just avin a laff innit.

I've dipped into various bits of social media at times. I wouldn't slag any of them off without trying them and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't tried them to give it a go - you may have slagged off forums in the past but look at you now!

Generally speaking soshul meeja things aren't doing it for me at the moment but that may just be because I haven't found the right feed/poster.

I've enjoyed wasting time on Pinterest but it pisses me off when an image you find on the web is a pinterest one and you can't view it without using the app. Also I only seem to use it for pictures of amazing cars - whilst that is fun I enjoy a bit more social interaction. After looking at pics on it for 20 minutes I've lost where I was and can't remember the last 20 minutes. A bit like going into your bedroom to get your glasses and then forgetting why you were there.

My life doesn't seem to work with facebook - too many pictures of rivers and trees and meaningful sayings from people who are apparently having such an amazing life and really count all their blessings. Maybe I just need to spring-clean my "friends"

Instagram - I think I could get into that following the right people - I'll give some of the ones suggested a try

Twitter - we use it through work for generating traffic to the web site. Can't see me using it personally or for fun though. I seem to get tweets from other solicitors generating traffic to their website or from the twatbible. Can't work out which is more annoying

Flipboard - I've found that quite good at amalgamating stories. Not car related but wider stuff - it tends to present some fairly interesting stuff to read. I generally get that as regular email updates. Like an online magazine. I think I've read probably 8 articles this week which were brought to me by Flipboard - which it pretty impressive.

Linkedin - 'Congratulate so and so on their work anniversary', 'I've got 500 connections'. Not working for me. If I was in the networking business environment then I could see it being useful but I can't see any point in it for pleasure
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Thanks Sladey. I'll try Flipboard. I don't do LinkedIn now as I'm well out of my previous business now. If you find good Insta feeds, it's good sometimes to read the comments too. They can lead to other good feeds and themes.
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

jeremyg wrote:
Thank you Rich for that contribution - it made me smile despite it being (knowingly I presume) patronising, sour and arrogant. I don't wish to overact if it is just a flippant remark, but I suspect it is rather more deep seated than that. You'll be aware of course of the hypocrisy of your position - you after all were just following a post on a social media site and responding to it.

However I'd like to think that you, and the others who think they have no time for it, could find refreshing enlightenment by dipping your collective toes into the socially democratised, and I would argue, creative worlds of Twitter and Instagram. Like all in life, they are what you make them.

In the 90's I started the Video Diaries series for the BBC, where we gave digital cameras to "ordinary people", amateurs that is, to record their own lives, rather than perpetually being the subject of other people's examinations. The innate creativity of such "ordinary" people soon had them winning all the top Documentary awards, from BAFTA to the Prix Italia.

In so enabling this to happen I made myself mighty unpopular with "professionals", but I learned to live with that.

I also know from previous posts that you have a healthy disregard of "celebrity". I share that position, to the extent of making myself an "enemy of the people" in the words of the right wing press, by commissioning the documentary that turned cameras on the phenomenal public outpouring of public grief, genuine or otherwise, to the death of the People's Princess. The resultant film "The Princess's People" filmed by, and featuring the views of, "ordinary" people across the two days of her funeral, offered an antidote to the generally accepted and reported public position.

However, the blanket dismissal of all celebrity runs the risk of ignoring the truly creative. The digital self publishing platforms Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc have been the noughties democratising equivalent of Video Diaries of course, equally open to the charge that they are merely platforms for users seeking the equivalent of their five minutes of fame.

I too, like you, and some others who have posted similar responses, held back initially as I doubted their creative potential, but it is, if you take the trouble to look and get involved, immense.

You of course curate your own list to follow, so cutting through the mountain of irrelevancies to discover communities and creatives every bit as valuable and as stimulating as the very best of DDK - from closet Saab drivers (of which I am one) to Mickey Mouse watch owners.

If I can convince just one of you doubters to give them a bit more of a concerted try to discover the true creativity within, then that's potentially rewarding.

To the appreciative users who need no further encouragement I give my thanks for your suggestions so far.

Blommin Heck. I thought your post would welcome differing opinions about social media followers.
I stick 100% by my short reply to the thread. Trouble is, I didn't begin to understand the thrust of your ' brief ' reply – I'm thick, so I need some of your comments clarifying.
You say that I'm ' knowingly patronising, sour, arrogant and hypocritical.
Why ? Just because I don't and never have licked arse and follow the crowd ?
Hypocritical because my comment followed a social media site ?
Are you saying that DDK is a social media site ? News to me . So, what a waste of 10 years membership
I thought DDK was a site for like minded people interested in lawnmowers, music, watches, tasteful pictures of girls lying on cars and old Porsche's and other classic cars.
What's 'followers' got to do with my ' Fat Boy' Mickey Mouse watch posted on the watch forum ?
After posting it I didn't expect any followers or disciples to dress up like Mickey and Minnie Mouse to join me at a closet cheese party – It's only a fun watch !
My comments were ' Deep Seated ' . What like a desire for World dominance or something ? What are you rattling on about ?
Who on earth do you follow for your tragic intolerance to other people's opinions ? Sounds dangerous to me.
Someday I might have a go on social media.Trouble is – I don't think they do it for men do they ?

Disgusted, patronising, sour and arrogant of Southampton.
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

I wrote my reply to you Rich to try and tempt you to try, just try, some social media rather than be entirely dismissive of it. I'm glad to see that you say someday you might have a go.
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

I am not a heavy social media follower and dont have FB. I do however find myself drawn to Instagram much more than Twitter as I like a heavier image content rather than text, but also when required Instagram does allow a longer comment/ explanation.

I like historika911 to follow the racing exploits of their early 911's and see the work they do. gunnarracing is also interesting for the ''sports purpose'' cars they often show. bentonperformance is great because of their concentration on flat4's. themodernhouse is great for contemporary architecture and I also like Darren's feed for pictures of his beautiful cars! :cheers:
1968 Porsche 912
1960 Vespa 150