356 Project??

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Kirklands 904
DDK Fanatic

356 Project??

Post by Kirklands 904 »

I have owned a LHD, number matching, 356SC for nearly 25 years having purchased it from the original owner whilst I was living in North Carolina. When I was in the States the engine was rebuillt by Harry Pellow (the Maestro) with 1720 NPR barrels and pistons. The interior was totally retrimmed in leather and I even have some of the original hides in a cupboard. The car was shipped back to the UK in 1996 and was used for the next ten years or so. Some may remember the Irish Green SC at Gmund and on a factory visit to Zuffenhausen in the late 90's.

The car has not been used for a long time as the body was begiining to show its age. Three years ago it was stripped out and the body taken back to bare metal. Some photographs are attached but I estimate that £10,000 worth of panels could be needed plus labour plus painting.

I am about to move house and downsize and I am realising that time is not infinite. In fact I had a shock when I realised that if my life expectancy is average for my current age then each month which passes is 1% OF THE REST OF MY LIFE!!

Now the question going through my mind, Should I spend precious time and money on it or should I sell it as a project for someone else to complete and enjoy. If so, how much is it worth?

All advice and comments are welcome and if anyone is interested in it "as is" then please get in touch

[img]http://s375.photobucket.com/user/bill25 ... .jpeg.html][IMG]http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo19 ... 7dprz.jpeg[/img]
904FF (Mike Bainbridge 2.4S engine and transmission)

I am hoping that I'll die before I grow up!
hot66

356 Project??

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
oldtimer
DDK forever

Re: 356 Project??

Post by oldtimer »

Thanks for sorting out the link to pics James !
Bill , I think your subconscious is telling you to pass this project on , otherwise you would be pushing on with it without having to ask us......
My starting point for a selling price would be to get back what it owes you.
The longer you have owned it the easier this should be as values now are higher than in the past.

However 356s have not appreciated as much as early 911s .
A really good LHD 356SC might fetch 65-70 £k
A rough one .....half that if it is still a driver....but as these cars can cost a lot to get bodywork properly done then you are relying on how motivated the buyer is towards a project compared to sourcing a 'driver' from the US.