When someone steals your work...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: When someone steals your work...

Post by Sam »

Darren C wrote:One image that struck a chord is this painting I did in 1977 age12
Bloody hell.

I wish I was talented.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

At 12 Sam, it was a curse.

This was the 1970’s, I got the sh*t kicked out of me at school on many occasions for having a “talent”. I soon realised that something I could do with ease, others couldn’t. I had no formal training it was just something that came naturally. When I joined secondary school the Art Teacher was lost, he put me in touch with his Uni friend who was a commercial artist. I visited him on a few Saturdays and on him seeing my work I ended up (age 13) doing his professional work for him while he took to the bottle. Often leaving him in a comatose state, I’d leave the finished paintings in his home studio and let myself out.

I decided there and then that a career in Art was not for me and concentrated on my other love, engineering. I continued with Art O level at school as to be fair it was a doss and required little effort and as a teenager taking the easy option was always preferable.
@classiccarguru1
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Fantastic work Darren 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

majordad wrote:Just spotted this on Pelican, is that guy stealing your artwork again ?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... hirts.html
As nice as the thanks are (and they are appreciated) it's old news.

The revival of the thread was majordad's post above.

:)
@classiccarguru1
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

I have to say that as time goes on, I am really starting to hate Darren
I've tried to overcome my jealousy of his careers, cars, friends, mechanical skills and now artistic talent but you know what? I'll add that to another of my failures. Tried, and failed.
;)
(School keep telling me my son has some artistic talent: he's 11 and as far away from that Space Shuttle as I am from riding in it
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

:lol:

I'd wager you lost your virginity first though Tosh :wink:
@classiccarguru1
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Darren C wrote:At 12 Sam, it was a curse.

This was the 1970’s, I got the sh*t kicked out of me at school on many occasions for having a “talent”.
And where are those shite-kickers now?

If only older you could have told younger you.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jamie

Post by jamie »

majordad wrote:Just spotted this on Pelican, is that guy stealing your artwork again ?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... hirts.html
Good spot. No - they're not my images, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd nicked them from someone else.

Thanks for the heads-up!
'68 912
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

He is making paintings of photographs you have taken digitally whats the problem? Now had this been something unique or new then artistically I would be leaning towards you. But you yourself are inspired by others and you could quite easily extrapolate similar inspiration? The framing of the landscape, road/path leading into the horizon and the car taken from a height. Be honest these are all techniques you have learnt from other photographers and artists.
The reason you are a photographer is you see this visual image and use the medium of your camera to capture it better than someone else. As for the financial aspect, I would have taken a different tactic to you. Instead of telling the Slovenian guy to take down his painting of your photo I would have said put a link to the inspirational photo you had of the 912 in a dress and allow punters to buy it in all its HD glory as a poster from you and he gets a commission from it.
The idea that you can police the internet like this is a losing game and contradictory to your talent. Would you look to charge people 911 owners wanting to drive on that road or this Spring as they have been inspired by ýour photo? As that to me this is the contradiction you are going for.
Scene tax