Socket of shift rod at the gear (sic!)

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Socket of shift rod at the gear (sic!)

Post by glovebox »

914 KEV wrote:
Mr Pharmacist wrote:My guess is that the 4 version has to be bent to pass through the engine mount bar. I'm not too familiar with the 6 but think they do the have such a bar so it down need to be straight?
There were three different linkages for the production 914.

The 914-6 linkage is straight.

Now there were two version for the 914-4, 70-72 rear shift and 73-76 side shift.

Due to the engine shape of the Type 4 engine the linkage bar can’t go in a straight line from the firewall to the gearbox.

The 70-72 rear shift bar is straight but had a short section at the fire wall that moved it to the left to clear the engine and went above the engine mount bar.

On the 73-76 side shift linkage it was bent to clear the engine and went through a hole in the engine mount bar on to a coupling like the 911 linkage has close to the firewall.
Hi Kev, just out of interest! Is there an advantage for one or the other ? In your opinion.
I guess the early had the advantage of a straight bar, but the side shift had a shorter bar??

Regards Mark.
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Socket of shift rod at the gear (sic!)

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Just in case any one of thinking of ordering the bush from the US I ordered one last Sunday and it arrived yesterday - approx £22 landed here
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

glovebox wrote:Hi Kev, just out of interest! Is there an advantage for one or the other ? In your opinion.
I guess the early had the advantage of a straight bar, but the side shift had a shorter bar??

Regards Mark.
First thing you have to know is the original 914-6 straight linkage went to a rear shift gearbox with its own rear gearbox end cover that differed from the 914-4.
You have fitted a six cylinder engine to your ’72 and added a side shift gearbox.
Now the original side shift linkage works well on the four cylinder engine, but when fitted to a six cylinder engine the linkage bar will most likely hit the heat exchangers/headers; the linkage bar needs to be re-bent slightly to clear them.
You have also fitted an aftermarket gear linkage for the side shift gear box on your six conversion.
Is it the aftermarket linkage bar made for the side shift gearbox fitted to a six cylinder engine?
914 Daily driver since 1990
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:Just in case any one of thinking of ordering the bush from the US I ordered one last Sunday and it arrived yesterday - approx £22 landed here
Great services, but is it really needed?
The bush in question is only used on the side shift gearbox linkage.
The problem with the original OM nylon bush is that it moves around in the hole in the 73-76 side shift console, over time it will wear the round hole oval with the sideways movement of the shift bar.
To stop this happening it is recommended that the nylon bush is epoxy in place to stop it moving.

Now with this bronze bush it is still going to move around in the hole in the shift console from the side way movement of the shift bar as the bush is only held in place with a circlip and nothing to keep it tight in place in the hole?
914 Daily driver since 1990
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I'm just trying to remove as much slop as possible - my nylon bush is pretty sloppy so I thought I'd replace it with metal which I always prefer over nylon. If the bush moves I can epoxy it in place as you recommend for the nylon. Plus it will last longer...
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

You have fitted a six cylinder engine to your ’72 and added a side shift gearbox.
Now the original side shift linkage works well on the four cylinder engine, but when fitted to a six cylinder engine the linkage bar will most likely hit the heat exchangers/headers; the linkage bar needs to be re-bent slightly to clear them.
You have also fitted an aftermarket gear linkage for the side shift gear box on your six conversion.
Is it the aftermarket linkage bar made for the side shift gearbox fitted to a six cylinder engine?[/quote]

Hi Kev, the aftermarket kit I bought was from JWest Engineering for a 4 cylinder. One of the reasons was I bought the gearbox from Moggy, and it still had the gearbox shifting plate or housing attached. The other reasons was I was trying to decrease the slop ! So what's good enough for Moggy .... it improved the shift 200 percent !! Was it the difference from just the side shift gearbox or the JWest Kit ?? I will never know, because I converted everything at the same time. Previously I had re placed all the bushes will the tail shift, which was a big improvement.
But it wasn't until this year when I converted to a 6 cylinder.... one night I realised I had all this exposed space which I never had before!! Due to the heat exchangers. Plus a straight line.. then remembered I had a spare tunnel shift bar ! I don't know why or how I have it ??? But hey !!! It's straight and give or take half an inch in length.....which I cut off !! It fits ?? And Wow !!! What a difference!!!
I have a manual reverse block on the shifter which I would always used before ! Because of hitting reverse!! I don't have to bother now!! It's soo obvious and direct now ! Even I can drive it !!

Hope this helps ??
Best regards Mark.