Young driver insurance quandary

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Young driver insurance quandary

Post by Berny »

Sorry to hear about your problem, about three years ago I had a woman call in at my home to ask for directions I gave her directions and returned to the house, as she turned her car she reversed into one of my cars parked in the yard and drove off, I jumped into another car and went to the address she had asked for, drove across and blocked her car in. When I spoke to her she said she did not know she had hit my car! but she gave me her details, I photographed the damage to the rear of her car and contacted my classic car insurers used by many on DDK . The repairs were done but it took a long time to recover the excess and I lost my NCD it was a no fault claim the car was parked and locked but it was still a claim! although the repair side was dealt with quite well getting the excess was a problem and I am still p1ss,d of about my NCD.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

jackstowers wrote:... tours with a 20 hour window to sign up....
:lol: In the exclusive world of Early Porsche, the 2017 Northern Drive will be the most exclusive tour yet.

I look forward to a speedy resolution to your frustration Darren C and anticipate your PM with gathering excitement.
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Update…..There isn’t one really :(
It’s over 10 weeks now and according to the nominated garage that is due to repair my sons car, they haven’t had authority to proceed yet.
I’ve had enough now and have personally booked the car in for Jan 9th and agreed with the garage to pay from my own pocket for the repair. :roll:
The legal protection people still can’t get their act together either so it looks like its “Bank of Dad” yet again to pay for taxi, bus and lifts to and from work while his car is being fixed.

I’m so glad I paid for a fully comprehensive classic car insurance policy with all the whistles and bells for my child! :evil:

Looks like personal legal action to recover my costs from the insurance company is inevitable now, as in my book 10 weeks is more than reasonable waiting time to try and action a simple claim that left the car un-roadworthy and my son stranded.
@classiccarguru1
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Well the update lack of progression sucks.

Personal recovery isn't too difficult. Most are settled before a hearing through negotiation.

As mentioned before collate the full heads of claim with evidence (run the heads by me if you want to), present it in a letter of claim along with a section 152 notice giving them 7 days to pay. Check online for wording or just ask. It's short and to the point.

Fingers crossed the threat will make them deal.
1974 Porsche 914
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Dean,

I have written a letter & email to the insurance claims department and told them that the car is booked in 9th Jan and that I would hope that they can settle the bill without me taking legal action.
Hopefully it might stick them a rocket where the sun don't shine, and at least I can't be accused of surprising them or being unreasonable after what will be 14 weeks since the accident by then. :roll:
@classiccarguru1
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

I've got four vehicles insured, three with long NCBs. Last year I was riding through London and I might possibly have come into minor contact with another vehicle, denting its wing with the very solid pannier of my bike. To this day I have no idea if I was at fault for the alleged incident or not, but had this actually happened in real life it would certainly have made sense for me to cough up the £400 for repairs to the third parties wing rather than deal with claims hassle as well as 5 years loading on four insurance policies as a result of a 'fault' (or even '50-50') accident...

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/