Just a bit of car insurance info, maybe of value.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Just a bit of car insurance info, maybe of value.

Post by 911hillclimber »

Rarely do you read something +'ve about car insurance companies, but I felt my recent experience may be of interest.

My run-about/wifes car is a simple Toyota iQ. Had it since new, 6 years old now.
A few weeks ago we were rammed from behind while still in a short traffic queue by a VW Golf who in turn had been rammed by another car, a Taxi.

Thus, the fault was behind me, I was the innocent front of the 'concertina' as such a 'pile-up' is termed.
Nobody broken or bleeding but the VW guy and the taxi driver were all shook-up. We sustained minor damage to the rear bumper/lower valance, the car was drivable and our necks felt ok.
Being the least affected I did the clerical work of names/addresses etc and left for home.

I contacted Direct Line, my insurers an hour later, game line after line of details to a very calm, slow talking and patient operator. It took 60 seconds to speak to a human.
A hire car was pre-arranged (it was a Sunday) and a pick-up of the Toyota arranged with a large repair network contracted to Direct Line.
They in turn were brilliant, a log-in # given to check progress, and the car was finished in 6 working days.

There was a small fault with the repair which they fixed while I waited and all is well.

No Third Party has called chasing me to progress injury compensation, so their data base must be tight!

I just thought that you only know if your insurance company is any good when this kind of thing happens, and I cannot fault Direct Line.

There was nothing to pay as I was the innocent party, not my fault etc.

The itemised repair bill was an eye opener. The cost of parts and labour for such a small amount of damage was surprising, (£1600)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Just a bit of car insurance info, maybe of value.

Post by Dean.s »

Are you sure it was direct line who dealt with. Was it a credit hire car organised by a non fault claims company? Insurer's often farm out non fault claims as it's more cost efficient.

Glad you got things sorted though. It's good to hear a nice ending for once.
1974 Porsche 914
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It all emminated from DL organisation, but all has worked out well, no fuss, no bother. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Glad to hear you got a good service, and think my thread may have nudged you a little to speak up.

Yep, you only know if your insurance company is any good when you have to make a claim. We certainly wont be recommending FJ to anyone.
@classiccarguru1
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

One point worth mentioning; a few years ago one lunchtime I was hit from behind while I was in a slow moving queue behind a road sweeper. I can remember hearing a car approaching too fast and glanced at the RVM just in time to see some bloke in a Nissan on his F****** phone before he hit me, ramming my car into a truck.

I jumped out, more worried about the young daughter (presumably) of the twattish bloke who was screaming her head off, but she was shocked (airbags) but otherwise unhurt. I stood around while police took statements, sorted out the recovery of my car, and waited while a colleague came and took me back to the office. Other than feeling mighty miffed off I felt just fine.

Next day I woke up feeling as good (bad) as normal, and drove to work in the pool car I'd borrowed. However, by mid-morning my neck started to feel sore and oddly weak, and by going home time I couldn't keep my head up, it was lolling from shoulder to shoulder. I had to get a taxi home and it was nearly a week before I was able to go in to work normally. I was lucky as I could work from home, but I discovered that whiplash is a thing...

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Take your point.
The crunch was 3 weeks ago now, nearly four, and we are both ok. The bags went off in the taxi, not the VW , no sound of screeching tyres etc but the taxi hit the VW high up in the boot lid and rear screen, doubt the brakes were applied.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

I hope you dont lose your NCD! I did when one of my cars was hit while parked and locked! logged as no blame! but still lost no claim, I did eventuarly get my excess back.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Been assured as 'no-fault' NCB ok and excess not called for.
Car repair cost me nothing.

When I renew all my insurances I will need to declare it but with the No-Fault caveat.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Yes, had nothing but good to say about Direct Line car insurance. Very helpful, quick to act and a UK-based human to speak to.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel